(18) Protective

"Why are you so nervous?" Jemima asks.

"I don't know how they're going to react. I don't know how you're going to react." John says, pacing around the snug, "you have to know that she doesn't like Maggie either."

"Who doesn't? What's happening?" Jemima questions, as he picks his glass of whiskey up, finishing it in one, whilst his family slowly start to filter into the room.

"Alright, John. There's only one man guarding the house, what's troubling you?" Tommy asks, taking his cigarette case from his jacket, whilst John sits down.

"You know what it's been like since Martha died." John says.

"God takes the best first," Polly states, placing her hand on top of his.

"Truth is," John sighs, "the kids have been running bloody rings around me, running bare foot with the dogs at all hours."

"Pol, give him ten bob for some new shoes. Is that it, John?" Tommy responds, shrugging when Jemima turns to give him a look of disbelief.

"Tommy, we'd be better to do this without you." Polly inputs, "now what's your point, John?"

"What the kids need is a mother." John states, taking a deep breath, "that's why I'm getting married."

"Does this poor girl know you're marrying her?" Polly questions, "or are you just going to spring it on her?"

"It's not Mimi, is it?" Arthur asks.

"No, it's not me," Jemima says, "who is it, Johnny?"

"I've already proposed, she said yes."

"I think there's a shell about to land and go bang," Tommy says as he places a cigarette between his lips.

"It's uh," John stutters, "it's Lizzie Stark."

Arthur who was just about to take a sip from his drink, stops for the fear that he'd just spit it out, especially when he makes eye contact with his aunt.

"John, Lizzie Stark is a strong woman and I'm sure she provides a fine service for her customers-"

"I won't hear the word, understand?" John interrupts, "do not use that word."

Jemima glances to Tommy, it was obvious that John hadn't a clue about his older brothers history with the woman.

"What word is that, John?" Tommy says.

"You know what word that is." John replies quietly.

"Everybody bloody knows," Arthur chuckles and Jemima smacks his arm.

"Everybody can go to hell," John retorts.

"Whore? That word? Or how about prostitute, how about that one?" Tommy replies.

"I want it known that if anyone calls her a whore again, I will push the barrel of my revolver down their throats and blow the word back down into their hearts," John states, turning to look at Tommy, who seems as though he was having a hard time trying not to laugh.

"John," Jemima says, "what I think your family are trying to say, is are you sure you have thought this through? Are you sure you can trust her?"

"Course I can trust her with the kids," John responds.

"Not what I meant, John," Jemima sighs, "are you confident that she would give up her job if you were to get married? Would you be the only man?"

"She's changed, people change," John says, raising his voice slightly, and banging his fist on the table.