(25) Hot Day in Birmingham

"Jem, Max, you've got to come with me," John pleads, turning up on their doorstep.

"What's happening?" Jem asks, placing her jacket on as they follow him away from the house in the direction of the Shelby house.

"Nothing good," John responds, "Dads come back, and Arthur fucking invited him over. I can't be in there with him by myself."

As the youngest of the eldest brothers, Arthur Senior always had a tendency to pick on John, viewing him as the weakest. The nights he came home drunk, were the nights John would be turned into a personal punch bag, which meant most nights.

The boys pale skin was always littered with bruises, that he'd pass of to his family as fights from school, until one night Tommy had come home late, Arthur Senior had thought him already asleep.

Tommy witnessed his father pinning John up against the wall, hurling abuse at him.

That was Tommys main breaking point. He was alright with the beatings as he thought them reserved for him, but knowing his brother was being hit too sent him over the edge.

That night was the reason Arthur senior left, because for the first time, one of his sons had overpowered him. One of his sons had left him with blood streaming from his lips and nose, in addition to bruises littering his skin. Leaving him helpless on the floor. He couldn't handle that embarrassment.

The three walk into the house and Finn runs over to them, holding onto Jemimas hand nervously.

"Finish your sandwich and sling your hook," Polly states.

"Pollyanna," Arthur senior sighs tauntingly, "I'm a guest of the head of this family."

"The head of the family ain't here," John speaks up, glaring at his father who turns to look at the three for the first time, his eyes lingering on Jemima.

"Tommy, he sometimes helps me run the business." Arthur says, drawing his fathers attention away from Jemima, as the front door opens, Tommy entering the kitchen.

"Speak of the devil," Arthur senior says, raising to his feet, "how are you son?"

"Get out," Tommy replies bluntly.

"Come on, son. I'm a changed man."

"Get out of this house, walk out just like you did ten years ago. It didn't seem so hard then." Tommy says.

"Tommy he's different." Arthur insists.

"Arthur, shut up." Tommy responds to his eldest brother.

"Not even going to introduce me to the people in my house?" Arthur senior says, gesturing to Max and Jemima.

"It's not your house." John replies.

"I recognise you, you're Shannon's boy, Max." Arthur senior states, rounding the table, now looking down upon Jemima, who stood her ground staring straight back at him.

"What's your name, darling?"

"None of your fucking business, leave," Jemima remarks.

"Back the fuck up," John states, as his Dad goes to take a step closer to her.

"You're not welcome here, so get out," Jemima says.

"It's sweet you think you have the authority to kick me out, darling." Arthur senior chuckles.

"Oh, she absolutely does." Polly says.

"Come on, Dad," Arthur sighs, pushing himself to his feet, placing a hand on his Dads shoulder tugging him away from Jemima.