(44) The Grand Opening

"Wow... this looks very different," Jemima says, looking around the pub. It was its grand opening tonight.

"It looks a lot nicer," Tommy replies.

"It looks... gold," Arlo adds.

Tommy doesn't say anything but gestures for the boy to follow him into the newly built snug.

Arlos face lights up when he sees a small bookshelf in the corner of the room, Tommy ruffles up his hair, "I know you sometimes get bored in here."

Arlo grins picking a book from the shelf, "small ladies."

Tommy chuckles, and nods, "small ladies."

"These are all for me?" Arlo asks, as Jemima enters the room.

"Yes," Tommy confirms, placing an arm around Jemimas waist as she rests her head on his shoulder. They were still in disagreement about London, but they were on much better terms now that Tommy had spoken to her about what the Irish want. He'd also told her of his plans to buy a new racehorse.

He'd told her that he'd located Pollys son. That he'd given him Pollys address should he want to visit, but that he couldn't yet give his to Polly due to him still being seventeen. He'd told her of his visit to see him - Henry Johnson.

Now the only thing bothering both of them was the disagreement of Tommys interest to continue his business expansion in London.

-

"I like your hair," Jemima compliments.

"Tommy did it for me," Isla smiles before skipping off to go and find Arlo.

Jemima looks to Tommy who was leant against the gold pillar beside her, a cigarette between his lips.

"You can plait hair?"

"I grew up with Ada, Polly was busy sometimes so she taught me how to do it," Tommy shrugs, "it was a technique we used to stop Ada throwing tantrums."

"That's adorable," Jemima says.

"Really fits in with the gangster image, doesn't it?" Tommy jokes.

"Being a gangster doesn't make you a horrible man," Jemima says, "in fact you may just be the softest man I know, because when it comes down to it, anything you do, it's to try and provide a better life for those you care about."

"Can you use that logic to stop being mad about London?" Tommy remarks.

"Way to ruin the moment," Jemima says, "prick."

"Arlo wasn't lying when he told me this place was gold," Evander speaks, walking over to them.

"You came?" Jemima smiles.

"Of course I came," Evander replies, "would either of you two like a drink?"

"I'm alright, thank you," Tommy says, lifting his half full glass of whiskey.

"Lime, soda and vodka?" Evander asks his daughter.

"That sounds lovely, Dad, thank you," Jemima nods.

As he was walking away, Evander smiles to himself. Dad. He hadn't heard that word from her in years, it must mean he was doing something right this time around.

Jemima looks around only to find a set of eyes already on her, Lizzie Stark was staring in the direction of her and Tommy, whilst sat beside a couple of blinders. John still considered her a friend, and felt sorry for her. Jemima thought she was nice, but was still weary around her due to the fact that her and Tommy had slept together on multiple occasions.