23. Another day, another kingdom

Nah, it couldn't be true. Trusting people wasn't my style, especially right now. Moving it to the back of my mind, I collected the last of the stuff I wanted to take with me and put it in my suitcase. The meeting was about to finish, and I hadn't eavesdropped yet. I preferred sneaking up and finding out in person, which sounded like a very good idea.

Jogging down the stairs, I bumped into Mr. Anders, who offered to make some lunch. I realized I hadn't eaten anything since we left and I happily accepted. I followed him to the dining hall where he quickly threw some ingredients together forming a delicious Italian chicken salad. Halfway through it, voices became louder in the hallway confirming the meeting had ended.

Keeping my gaze on the wall, I continued to eat, not wanting to engage in any conversations. I wanted to save my energy and social battery for the arrival in the vampire kingdom, because my gut told me I would really need it there.

Foxglove waved in front of my face, breaking my stare, and sat down across from me. He chuckled as I blinked a couple of times. "How was your trip?"

"Wasn't too bad, it was a nice change. The nature is ten times better, less industrial smock and all that. Let's not forget, less generals." I shrugged eating some more food, keeping any hint of joy or excitement out of my voice. Since the generals weren't too fond of supernatural creatures, it was best not to make them jealous, especially since I was leaving to another supernatural kingdom in less than an hour.

"Really?" He narrowed his eyes. "Did you get into trouble there?"

"What makes you say that?" I frowned questionably. "You know I'm a perfect model citizen."

There was absolutely no way I would tell him about my adventures there, I knew my father wouldn't have told him either, to not increase the hate. Saying 'we were attacked by rogues and then the Werewolf king ripped off multiple limbs and a head' didn't exactly roll off the tongue.

He grinned. "Uh-huh. I wonder where you got that 'perfect behavior' from, definitely not from your father."

Boy, did I have news for you.

"I'm adopted." I casually took another bite, knowing I actually did get it from my father since he raised me, but he didn't need to know that.

"Oh shit sorry, I completely forgot." His eyes widened and he scratched his neck.

"It's okay, we can't all be smart and good-looking." I smiled, my eyes twinkling in amusement. It took me a little over one hour to get under his skin again like the good old days before last week.

A scowl appeared on his face, he was offended. "I'm definitely smart, how else did you think I became the youngest five star general ever?"

"I always assumed you slept your way up there." I said seriously, finishing up my salad.

"But only men are allowed in the army." He asked confused, tilting his head to the side.

"I don't judge." I shrugged, standing up and bringing my plate to the kitchen, leaving him alone at the table, just staring at me.

On our way to the airport, Foxglove and my father talked about the volunteers. Today would be the last day to volunteer as it would be Monday tomorrow and apparently, lots of humans had death wishes since they were still lining up in front of that damned box. 

When we arrived at the airport, it was finally time to board the plane to the vampire kingdom. The same black and gold jet stood there again and the colors reminded me this week was going to be dramatic as fuck.

We said our goodbyes, again, and Foxglove stopped me when I wanted to get in. He leaned closer to me, his mouth right next to my ear. "You've won today sunshine, but I'll get you next time."