39. Happy Birthday

As I sat here throughout the night the pain and pressure in my body had started to build up. It wasn't a simple headache anymore. By the time the sun rose again, the pain was so excruciating I could barely move. It felt like I was going to explode with every breath I took. I never felt pain like this before in my life. 

What a birthday gift.

Day three of the conquest had begun, which happened to be the day of my nineteenth birthday and all I could do was lay down and wince in pain. I couldn't even process my agony in peace as the sound of trumpets blared through the speakers next to the screen. 

With much effort and groaning, I sat up, leaned on my arms behind me and stared at the reflection of the screen in the windows from the building opposite the skyscraper. It showed a picture of me with many balloons next to it.

"Please welcome us in wishing Iola Ashford a happy nineteenth birthday." Foxglove's voice boomed through the speakers as soon as the trumpets stopped.

"Oh fuck that shit." I rolled my eyes and sighed, letting myself drop on my back again as another wave of hurt shot through me.

After the announcement everything went quiet once more and the screen went back to normal. I currently had the highest kill count, which was quite low so not really worth appreciating. The gamer in me wondered if we would get perks when we got a higher one.

The thunderstorm hadn't stopped and I sensed the men were scattered around the square, hiding in different buildings. Valerio was taking shelter on the first floor of the skyscraper along with another werewolf. 

For a second I contemplated sneaking out and going over to the hospital for some major pain killers, but I doubted that the generals had even left painkillers there in the first place. The whole idea was to make the conquest as hard as possible for everyone.

I rolled over and pushed myself up against the frame of the wall. I slapped my hands against my face, shook my head and groaned. "For fuck's sake suck it up, Iola. Now is not the time to start acting like a little bitch." 

I leaned against the frame, keeping my arms clutched around my stomach, and felt a presence I didn't want to feel.

"Happy Birthday, Iola."

"Fuck off, Jorden." I groaned with my eyes closed.

"I can't." He said blankly.

Opening my eyes, I raised an eyebrow. "Why are you here?"

"To give you a heads up." He stated. "Your powers are coming."

"I'm sorry what?" I frowned. "They're coming today? Like a weird birthday gift?"

He simply nodded, but refrained from saying a word.

"Well do they happen to rip out my organs in the process? Because that's what it feels like." I groaned as the pain worsened once again.

"They're not the ones ripping out organs today." He said casually, his tone slightly off.

"Okay, cryptic." I narrowed my eyes. "What's that supposed to mean?"

"I'm sorry, Iola." His facial expression softened before he disappeared into thin air.

"Sorry for what?!" I yelled out angrily, raising my hands. 

Did he mean that I was going to rip out organs today? Sure, there's was a good chance that could happen, but why was he so weird about it then? Besides what was he sorry for? And most importantly, when was I going to have a normal conversation with him without him dusting off in the middle?