37. Sauron

An ear deafening scream echoed through the air as H2's arm got ripped off by Valerio in the middle of the square next to the fountain. I sat beside Sauron, patting his head which was on my lap, next to a window on the third floor of an office, overlooking the whole thing. I figured I might as well let most men kill each other before I would grace them with my presence.

H2 held the bleeding remains of his shoulder with the only hand he had left while trying to run away. Even if he could outrun Valerio, which he couldn't, it wouldn't be of any use since he left a massive trail of blood behind him. On top of that, W2 and W4 appeared in front of him while W3 emerged behind Valerio. Neither of them shifted, simply because it wasn't necessary, it would make it way too easy.

Drones were circling the scene as H2 tripped over his own feet and fell. Valerio yanked him up from the ground and hurled him against a large statue. With a loud crack, his back broke upon impact and he fell on the ground. Unfortunately for him, the impact hadn't killed him. It had paralyzed him instead.

Unable to move, he tried to speak or make a sound, which resulted into some desperate huffing and puffing, but nothing else. He continued to bleed out on the ground until Valerio approached him and hoisted him up directly in front of a camera. He ripped off H2's head and threw it to the side. He motioned something to his men and the four of them left the scene, heading into the opposite direction of the building I was in, probably having caught another scent.

On the screen attached to the skyscraper in front of me, a '1' appeared on the kill count. My gaze returned to H2's lifeless frame, scattered around the square. The body wasn't removed or picked up, it was simply left there as a number, as collateral damage. A reminder to everyone that our deaths would truly be worthless.

I looked down to Sauron, who sighed in contentment as he slept in my lap. I wanted to sit like this forever, peacefully letting him sleep, but unfortunately for the both of us, staying in one place for too long wasn't a wise decision.

"Let's find you something to eat, shall we?" 

His ears pointed at me and his dark hazel eyes met mine. With an enthusiastic bark he stood up and spun around, making me chuckle. Dogs really loved food. My stomach growled thinking about it, the sun had started to set and I hadn't eaten a thing all day.

With nothing to hunt in sight, we had to resort to other matters to eat. After scavenging through multiple buildings unnoticed, partly to do with me shutting off every camera in close proximity and other men not being able to notice my smell, sound or heat signature, we came across an emergency bunker located underneath a clothes shop.

Shelves had fallen over, scattering clothing over the entire floor, hiding the small metal trapdoor in the floor behind the counter near the back of the shop. It looked like an earthquake had happened right before we got dropped in this place. I opened the door and lowered myself onto the stairs. Sauron cocked his head, letting out a small whine.

"You want to go down too, huh?" I asked him. 

His tail wagged highly with the speed of light, as he lowered the front of his body onto his paws.

"Fine." I chuckled, taking it as a yes and swinging him over my shoulder as the stairs would be too steep for him, being very grateful for my strength.

I pulled on a string, turning on the fluorescent lights, which flashed a couple times before staying on. I placed Sauron the ground and went up the stairs again to close the trapdoor. Didn't want to give away that someone was down here.

Sauron sniffed around the chilly bunker while I trailed around the many metal shelving units. The team that had cleared out the blocks must have forgotten about this place, which didn't surprise me, they were human after all. The units were stocked with canned food, dried vacuum sealed food, bottled water, an old radio, a radiophone, medical necessities and first edition books. Further along the way were a couple of bunk beds, a toilet and an oxygen machine.