#52

Damon

"Boss, are you sure you don't want to take a break?" One of my men stood at the door tensely. This had to be the fifth person today who asked me this question. Why was it so hard for everyone to understand? I rub my forehead and sigh into the pile of work layers out on my desk,m. I answer the familiar question again with the same answer.

"I am fine." It was a simple answer yet no one in this damn place could comprehend it. I can't stand being around anyone at the moment. They treat me like glass, like I could be broken any moment.

"I understand that, but you've been here all day, you haven't ate or-"

"Get out" I said refusing to make eye contact with the man standing at my door. "Now" I continued after not hearing any footsteps. Now, I could here him scurry of and shut the door. Immediately I pushed my chair back and relaxed my neck back.

"Fuck" I mumbled as a large brush of pain pounded over my head. Months have passed and I have done nothing but throw myself into work to distract myself. We had absolutely no leads in finding Aesira and her sister. There's not one clue left but her necklace, and that's just a dead end, which has us right back to the beginning. It's been so long since I've felt her touch, or smelt her scent, I'm starting to forget it. I can't forget it.

The pounding got worse as someone knocked harshly on the door. "That's it, get up" they said not bothering to hear me say come in. I raise my head and make eye contact with Carter. Can't this guy find something else to do? "We're going out." He said crossing her arms over his chest. Immediately I started shaking my head, which he started to mimic. "Nope, you can't say no."

"I have work I need to finish" I said picking up my pen and fixing the state of my papers. Carter let out a puff of air. He's been trying to get me out and about for weeks but has had no luck. I don't want to do anything fun.

"You're the boss, work can wait... Aesira would want you to go out" I close my eyes and take a deep breath. "C'mon, theres a fight tonight at the square, a new fighter is going into the rink" he continued, I kept shaking my head but I was starting to consider it.

"Damon.."

"Damon, you can't keep following me" Aesira smiled and shuffled the cards. I grinned back at her mesmerizing face. Her blue eyes gazed down at me softly. She started to pick up the chips in the table and I leaned forward on the stool.

"Or what?" I said challenging her, she shook her head refusing to make a comeback.

"I'm serious, these guys have no chance against you, you need to go out and do something else, have fun" she insisted and leaned forward on her hands.

"I'm having fun with you" I told her leaning closer, her smile widened, what a sight... "You're my fun." She rolled her eyes and placed her hand on my chest. I grabbed her hand stopping her from pushing me back. I pulled her closer to me and pecked her smooth lips. She quickly pushed back and swatted my arm.

"There are people around" she said resuming her work. She tried to stay serious but a smile was threatening to break through. Let it break through. "And find a new fun, I'm not always gonna be there to entertain you" she smirked.

"You'll always be my fun." I said looking down.

"Damon..."

"Damon?"

"Ok" I mumbled, looking up I saw Carter staring down at me. I felt a sudden sadness take over me.

"Ok?!" Carter said happily, a smile six times bigger than normal took over his face. I rolled my eyes and leaned back.