What You Have to Do

Grim slowly woke up. "What?" He looked up at Doc and False. "What did you do to me?"

"We just sedated you." Doc slowly put his hand up. "Ren, we need you to stay calm. We just want to help you."

As Iskall and Stress walked in Doc put his hand up. "Don't you dare come any closer."

Stress got in a fighting stance. "Who's gonna stop me?"

False moved in between the bed and Stress. "I am."

"No!" Doc clenched his fist. "We are not doing this."

False looked back. "Huh? Do you want to help Ren or not."

"Fighting isn't going to do anything! Listen, we've fought so many times and it hasn't gotten us anywhere."

Iskall sort of lowered his sword a little. "Well what do you want us to do? You expect us to come to some sort of agreement?"

Doc looked at Grim. "I think we should talk to Ren about it."

False narrowed her eyes. "Really? While he's like that?"

"It's our best shot." Doc moved closer to Grim. "Ren? Can you stand?"

Grim seemed a little stunned but got out of the bed. "I don't understand why I'm here."

"We're giving you a choice. You can go back to being Ren again."

Grim scoffed. "Why would I do that? I'm perfectly happy like this."

"Are you though? Being dragged along? Constantly hungry? Are you sure you're happy?"

Grim stumbled over his words before finally speaking. "This is who I am. You can't change that."

"But you can. You can come back to us."

When Grim hesitated for a moment Iskalls face turned to anger. "Hold on. You're not actually considering this, are you?"

Doc ignored him. "Ren, I've spent so long on this machine but I think I can finally help you." He walks over to a metallic archway. "All we need to do is switch it on and you just need to walk through it."

Grim looked back at Stress and then Doc. "No! I'm not leaving them to come back to you. As if. Maybe Ren was your friend but I'm not. I'm not him!"

When he started to walk over to Stress, False grabbed his shoulder. "Do you have any idea what he's sacrificed for you? What he's done? Sleepless nights, dangerous experiment's. Just to help you."

Grim started looking between the two. Come on Grim. Don't overthink this. It's obvious.

He stuttered a moment before pulling his arm away and speaking. "That's not my problem. That was his choice."

Doc took a slow breath. "I can promise you, Ren. If you come with me, we'll be so happy. We can leave, leave the war, the death. Find a place on the mainland, make ourselves a life."

Grim paused. Was it worth it? He thought it through. Maybe it was. He barely thought about it and he was walking back to Doc. Maybe this was best.

"So that's it, huh?" Stress spoke with a croaky voice. "I'm supposed to just shut my mouth and let you go?"

Grim couldn't meet her eyes. "Come with me Stress. We'll run away, the three of us."

"I'm not a coward. I'm here to fight, here to feed. I'm not here to run."

Behind him Doc switched the archway on. It was field with something similar to the nether portal but it was a dark silver.

Doc checked some dials then stood back. "It's ready. Walk through and it'll transfer you to the mind space. You're gonna see a lot in there but you need to make sure you come back as Ren."