3.

Harry

    Somehow, I didn't really know how to continue on with my evening properly after that. It took everything in me not to fully immerse myself in watching Daisy for the rest of the evening as she danced with her friends around her.

    It was such a beautiful distraction to feel something about someone, to get talked to in a way that was inviting. Seeing that it was someone I was truly attracted to was even better. Her smile was so bright and pretty as she lit up the dance floor around her. Her hips swayed to the music, in the small blue and white sundress that held against her body. The dirty gray converse on her feet were sweet and obviously an intentional choice, but a sweet one nonetheless.

    It was also a reminder that I never really got that opportunity– that freedom and ability to just go out with my friends on my birthday.

    I can't even remember my 21st birthday. Not because it was full of passing out and drinking, but because it wasn't memorable. I'm sure that I didn't even recognize the day, I was probably working. Brooks would have only been two and Lottie wasn't even ten yet.

    That kind of trauma really changes you and makes you remember what you've missed out on in life. Don't get me wrong, I love them with my entire heart, which is why I've continued to want to care for them and there for them. Doesn't mean it doesn't hurt sometimes to recognize my family failed me and forced me to grow up.

For a second I may envy what I'm looking at. Maybe it's not infatuation at all, maybe it's jealousy and the fact that she can look so beautiful and free all at one time.

Once I texted her, she texted me back, we had started a bit of a conversation flow. We would text small things back and forth, a few flirty little nods as she would look back at me, I'd try to find her face in the crowd.

It felt childish in the best ways. I hadn't felt that in a while, and maybe this wouldn't pan out to be anything. She was drunk on her 21st birthday with her friends, which meant I wasn't necessarily planning our wedding quite yet– she was young and seemed eager and confident in her own ways.

It was just... it was cute. Something I knew I couldn't read too much into. But that wouldn't mean that I didn't think about her every time I turned back towards the crowd of people. Something about her reservation and shyness was intriguing to me, especially seeing her open and comfortable with her friends.

My phone buzzed in my pocket, a bit of a heart skip in my chest as I looked at the name on the phone.

Daisy again.

I opened the message, keeping the phone below the bar so I wouldn't be caught on the job– not that it usually mattered, it was always under the assumption that it was either Lottie or Brooks needing something from me.

Daisy: I Told the DJ to pla y my fav son g and he didnnnt ;(

I chuckled at the misspellings, knowing that she would either regret that in the morning or laugh at it. Either way, it was pretty charming.

Harry: I'm sorry to hear that. Maybe next time?

Harry: What's your favorite song?

Closing time was coming soon, which meant that it was almost time to start closing down the bar and kicking people out. This point of the night was either very easy, especially pushing the real drunks out, or it was difficult because people didn't want to leave. Either way, it was a night where I didn't have to fully close anything down and could just leave when everyone else had to.