9.

Daisy

"If you have any questions about the book report, let me or Ms. Miller know. We're here to help, and this is a challenging read for you all. Remember, it's due on Monday, so don't wait until the weekend to start it."

I sat with a small smile on my lips as I looked out at the group of 7th graders that seemed a bit taken by the due date, groaning as the final bell rang of the day. They had known about this project for at least a week, and seeing half of them with surprised looks on was a bit amusing. To be a kid with no worries in the world except a book report on The Outsiders seemed like a pretty good place to be.

"I'll see you all next week!" I watch as they quickly collect their bags, a few saying goodbye to me personally as they make their way out of the room, and start to walk out into the busy cluster of students that line the hallways.

I had been working more intern hours outside of my college classes as a student teacher since it was my final year at school; I only had a few more lectures to take and it felt more natural to get into the work portion of what I wanted to do, really seeing how the teachers were handling themselves and what I would have to do to meet that criteria.

I had wanted to be a teacher for as long as I could remember– elementary school had been my dream. My mom was an elementary school teacher for so many years, and I loved watching her interact with the kids. When I got a bit older, I started to help her in the classroom to decorate for the school year and build fun games for the kids.

As I had started to work with middle schoolers, I recognized such a lack of empathy towards them. Everyone either wanted to work with small children who played games and were fun, or high schoolers who could hold a conversation with you for more than three minutes. Something about a young tween who was going through the hardest parts of their life just seemed so misunderstood, and I was up for the challenge.

"Hey, Daisy, I'm thinking that you could be here in the afternoon on Monday to be able to go over the book reports with them, if that's alright with you?" Mrs. Schuman– she tells me to call her by her first name, which is Laura, but I still feel like she's my superior– looks at me with a positive smile before I give her a confirming nod.

"Absolutely, I can be here. I'm excited to see what they come up with."

Mrs. Schuman started to pack her things from her desk, as I collected the few bags that I had brought with me.

School classes, for me, had started a few weeks ago and I hadn't been busier. It felt like the days just flew. Now that it was Wednesday, it already felt like most of the week was gone. There hadn't been much talked about planning wise, but I knew that Phoebe had wanted to see me soon after not seeing her since my birthday.

We had talked a few times since she had left Lace and I to fend for ourselves in that parking lot. The conversations we've had since had a lot of 'I will explain' sentences strewn together, and I knew that she had to have a better reason for it all.

The guy that she had been seeing was a bit on and off, and while I don't want to blame Phoebe for what she did– which was really leaving us in a dangerous situation. I knew that there was a lot of backstory that I'm sure she didn't see coming, and I always had to give her the benefit of the doubt.

I had a little bit to thank her for, though. If we wouldn't have been stranded, I wouldn't have been offered a ride home.

My phone lights up with a text message as I go to place it in my purse. Taking a glance, I'm reminded of my parent's anniversary dinner in a few weeks. My aunt had messaged me asking if I would be able to put together a few trays of appetizers to bring, which I messaged her back and told her I would.