51. The Past

TW: lots of conversations surrounding mental health and diagnoses, which can be troubling for some.
please read with caution.

The Universe's POV

March 2016

Name.

Date of Birth.

Reason for visit.

Current medications.

Do you feel that you are a risk to yourself?

Do you feel that you are a risk to others?

Harry's knee jittering almost sent his pen to move across the page on the clipboard as he blinked reading the questions. The sound of the soft, ambient music playing in the waiting room only made the lump in his throat feel heavier.

It was unfamiliar, all these questions. The atmosphere that he was seated in was trying so hard to be calm that he couldn't get his heart to slow at the thought of anyone acknowledging that he was there.

The length of his hair tickled the back of his neck as it rested on his shoulders, the pen in his hand as he tucked the right side behind his ear.

The scratchiness of the seat brushed against his arm as he pushed himself back into the chair, letting his slouch accentuate when he bowed his head to look back at the clipboard that held the medical paperwork.

Name and Date of Birth seemed to be easy to answer for him; they were objective, at least.

Harry Styles. February 01, 1994.

When his eyes glanced further than that on the page once again, he started to feel the familiar fluttering in his chest that made him remember what it felt like to be human.

And how annoying that feel was.

Reason for Visit.

Unintentionally, he brought the end of the black ink pen to his chin, tapping it slightly when he tried to think of what he could have put down to make himself seem less pathetic.

It didn't seem like an easy question at first glance, so his brain tried to pass over it. Maybe getting this far had been enough. Being in the waiting room had pushed him to the point that he felt uncomfortable—there wasn't any way that he would be able to speak to another person about the parts of him that had hurt.

Harry had never been to therapy before. He had seen it on TV, seen it in movies, read about Freud and the study of dreams, but he had never believed that he would end up here. This felt like he was giving into the hurt, like he was making it real when he tried so hard to push it back.

It had felt a bit like defeat when he made the appointment.

Harry didn't pride himself on being the strongest person in the room, but he did pride himself on the stature he could hold. It took a lot of resistance to be able to stand up against his mother and to make sure that his siblings were taken care of.

Resources were available, but Harry didn't want people to pity them. Growing up, his mother scared him into believing that anyone could take Brooks and Lottie away from them if they got an inkling that they didn't have any money. It kept Harry with a smile on his face, even if it was fake, so he could make it look like everything was okay.

His grandparents never knew how bad it had truly gotten until years later when he made passing comments that he hadn't seen his mother in what went from weeks to months. They would apologize that they didn't know any different, but Harry knew that he had kept it from them for a reasonS