27.

tw: domestic abuse mention

Daisy

"Any sevens?"

Harry squints, looking at his own hand trying to look at the cards. He shakes his head, with a small grin.

"Go fish."

I groan at his answer, picking up a card from the pile.

"Do you have any fives, Daisy?" Brooks looks at me, from his criss-cross spot on the floor. I do have a five, so I give him a small smirk as a reaction. He laughs at my reaction, my fingers sliding the card from my fingers before I'm handing my five to him, knowing that it's giving him the winning hand.

"I win, again!" Brooks sets the set of fives on the ground in front of him before Harry throws his cards down in a dramatic reaction. He's laying on his side in front of us, elbow holding him up.

"You're pretty good at this game," I tell Brooks, as he starts to gather the cards on the ground now to start to dish them again. He giggles at my comment, taking all of the cards in his hands, where it becomes a little messy and they start to fall all over the place.

It's Christmas Eve today.

I had made my way over to Harry's place a little while ago; I had seen both Lace and Cara before I came over, so we could exchange gifts. We didn't usually do anything too crazy, but I felt that it was a cute gesture that we did each year. Our tastes were so similar that it was basically like buying things for ourselves, but for each other.

I had told Harry that I planned to spend Christmas with my family– I hadn't heard from them, but I was going to get in touch with my mom, at some point. I still hadn't. I didn't know their plans for the day, but I figured I'd drive to my parent's home to see what the plans were.

Alone, this time. I knew that Harry was a bit hesitant about letting me go by myself, but I knew that I had to.

We had been waiting for Lottie, as Harry said she was at a friend's house spending the night and she would be home some time in the afternoon. I figured that we could keep ourselves busy by playing some games, possibly making a small dinner for the three of us.

Harry and I hadn't talked about what happened too much in depth, from a few weeks ago. I think we had decided that it felt like a conversation that needed to happen, but we would just let our feelings happen.

We knew where we each stood– I hadn't verbally heard Harry say 'I love you' again, but I could tell by the looks that he gave that he wanted to let the words out. I knew that he felt them, and I think that meant the most to me.

There were moments that I wanted to say it, I wanted to pull the trigger and love him just as much as I knew that he loved me, but I couldn't find myself in a place to say them just yet. There was more that needed to happen, more that had to be said and done before I could allow the words to hold true.

We were finishing cleaning up after dinner when the front door opened, and Lottie came tumbling through. She has a backpack on her shoulders, another smaller bag in her hands as she walks into the kitchen space.

"Hey," Harry says to her as he watches her drop her things by the kitchen island; I raise my eyes to look at her and she gives us a soft smile, "How was your sleepover?"

Lottie reacts to his question, and I can sense that there's something else on her mind. Harry doesn't seem to react to it, so I try to remain neutral as she just shrugs.

"It was fine, nothing too exciting, I guess." Lottie goes to sit on the kitchen stool, moving the chair out before taking a seat

Harry pouts out his lips, a bit stricken with her loss of words, shaking his head a little bit, "What'd you do? Go anywhere?"