44.*

Harry

The past few weeks I honestly hadn't stopped smiling. There hadn't been a reason to stop.

There had been a patterned stream of successes that could only be explained because the universe had been on my side.

For one, Daisy was able to find someone to sublet out her apartment for the remainder of the lease. It was an easy process, mostly because it was just Sarah and we were friends with her, so communicating through it was such a stress-relief on Daisy. But, it was smooth with her landlord, too. No hard feelings or issues meant that we could get her out as soon as possible.

We had taken a Sunday to be able to move Daisy out of the apartment while simultaneously moving Sarah in. All of Daisy's boxes– the few that she had really accumulated– were just going to be kept in the basement for the time being.

My back and arms hurt for a few days afterwards from carrying her boxes, but all that didn't seem to matter once she fell into bed with me that night. The sore arms wouldn't be an issue anymore.

And she wouldn't be going anywhere for a few weeks– possibly months. That only excited me further because she permanently cemented herself into our routine and our world. I knew her reasoning for not wanting to stay forever, right now at least, but maybe the taste of forever would be sweet enough for the future.

There was an ease to it, everything worked out perfectly needed. Daisy had filled my closet with her items. Her dresses, her jeans, her sneakers. The bathroom counters were growing with the small bottles and tubes. Her retainer, her hairbrush.

The scent of her would soon coat my own clothes, which only made my heart grow a few sizes.

Her coat hung at our door. Her shoes sat underneath the small bench near it. Her purse hung on the banister as she would run out of the door, obviously in a hurry because she wasn't totally great with timing. Half of a bagel in her hand as she'd hurriedly kiss my lips coated with a layer of coffee.

I was in a great place– obviously still mentally working everyday to move through issues that had been harboring. But, my self-esteem couldn't be knocked right now. All I needed was Daisy running her hands through my hair at night, her arms wrapped around me when we stood in the front of the stove cooking dinner.

That reminded me of the aspect of our relationship. It was supposed to be easy. It could be easy when we wanted it to be, when we worked on it. There were so many small parts that only made us stronger, and I had to remind myself of that.

It was simple things that were reminding me that I wasn't trying more than her. I was receiving just as much as I was giving, and for the first time, I couldn't believe that my reality was better than the expectation I was putting on it.

Daisy and I were working as much as I thought that we'd fail. My brain had prepared myself for disappointment as much as it could. When disappointment never came, Halle told me that I was looking for crumbs of ways that failing would be the only option.

The only bump in the road the past few weeks was that Lottie and I did catch the same bug that Brooks had brought into the house. Fortunately, Daisy hadn't, which meant that she could start her job on time and without any issues. In the midst of that, she tried her best to take care of us while we were sick by putting water and medicine on our nightstands when she would leave in the morning.

That kept us down for a few days each, but even that didn't seem to hinder the happiness that had been increasing.

This afternoon I had an interview for the job I had applied for a few weeks prior. Only on the phone, but it still made me pace around my bedroom at the thought of them calling me and possibly being disappointed in the fact that I wasn't what they were looking for was terrifying.