4. Callie

After the weird encounter I had in the kitchen with, who I can only assume is one of Ava's family members, left me feeling a bit weird. What was with all the questions and even more with the tone he used with me? It was so demanding and authoritative; it threw me off guard for a second. Whatever it was, it left me going to bed with a feeling in my stomach.

"You awake?" I hear ava whisper from beside me. truth is, I never really went back to bed. I turn around to face her, nodding my head.  "How are you feeling?" That was her polite way of asking if I had a raging hangover or not. which surprisingly so, I didn't. I think I tossed and turned any sight of a hangover away. 

"I'm fine. How are you?"  I always asked even though I knew she never drank enough to feel it the next morning, but I saw it as the polite thing to do. I know I'm not always the nicest or the most loving person but Ava's my best friend. I know I don't show it as often, but I think she's probably the only person I really care about. 

"I'm good." She nods, yawning and stretching her arms upwards. "Ready for breakfast?"

I nod quickly since I've been ignoring the rumbling in my stomach for quite some time now. "Just let me use the restroom and I'll meet you down there," I say throwing the covers off me and walk towards her bathroom.

After I hear her start to walk down the stairs, I look in the mirror to see it's almost evident that I haven't slept for the remainder of the night. Here's to hoping that a cold splash will do me some good though. After finishing up, I make my way downstairs. Before I could even walk into the kitchen, I hear the chitter chatter of several people. It makes me wonder if Ava's family is having one of those get together again. I inwardly groan, I'm not really the social butterfly when it comes to things like these. Entering the kitchen, I can confirm I'm correct.

"Good morning, Cal. I'm pretty sure Ava has already saved a seat for you so just grab a plate and dig into whatever you'd like. " Mr. West says to me as he walks past me. Ava's parents have always been very nice and welcoming to me, but I always think they secretly wish their daughter had someone better as a best friend than me. They've never let on that, but my self-deprecating attitude leads me to think so. How could they not?

I grab a plate and go over to wait in the food line with Ava. "You okay?" Ava asks as I approach her. Probably sensing that I was a bit overwhelmed with how many people there are in this kitchen. I just nod and move forward in line as she does. "My parents are having one of their family barbeques again this weekend."

"I kind of figured when I heard all the commotion coming downstairs,"

She shrugs and looks at me apologetically. "Sorry I forgot to tell you last night." She says before quickly turning her gaze back to the food, grabbing the breakfast items she likes. I never usually like to be around for these types of things, so she usually lets me know beforehand. Something about a big group of family all being nice and friendly to each other is something foreign to me so I never usually know how to act. Something tells me she didn't just forget to let me know to stay somewhere else this weekend.

Even less, I continue my way down the food buffet they had set out until I pretty much had a full plate. "I'll meet you at the table," I say, as I part ways with her. She just nods and continues down the line of fancy breakfast foods. As I said, I'm never usually here for these types of things so I never see how they're usually done. I was kind of shocked by how fancy everything was but then again it is Ava's family. I was hoping everything will continue to be so hectic that I could slip out and maybe meet James for a smoke.

"Did you get everything you wanted to eat, Cal? It doesn't look like you have much on your plate." Mrs. West leans down with her hand on my shoulder. As with Ava's father, her mother as be nothing but lovely all the years I've known her.

"Yes Mrs. West, this is plenty." I smile. "Thank you."

She nods and pats my shoulder. "Make sure you get yourself something to drink, Hun." She says before walking over to get herself a plate. Ava puts her plate down next to mine but before she could sit down, I stand.

"I was going to get something to drink. Want anything?" I ask.

She nods her head. "Just an orange juice."

I nod and head over to the drink cart. I breathe out a sigh of relief when I see just what I was hoping for. Champagne.  A mimosa was calling my name right about now. I grab two cups filling one with orange juice and mine with half orange juice and half champagne. Thankfully this cart is out of prying eyes.

As I head back over to the table, I stop in my tracks as I see the same tall, tatted man that I saw last night in the kitchen talking to Ava. I take a deep breath before making my way over.

"Oh, Cal," Ava says looking up at me as I approach.

"Hey," I say awkwardly, not sure what I just interrupted. "Here," I say handing her the cup that just had orange juice in it before sitting down at the table. I take a big gulp from the cup as I sit, which had ava eyeing me suspiciously.

"Anyways," she says thankfully letting whatever she was thinking go. "This is Dominik, Dominik this is Callie." She introduces me, finally letting me put a name to the mysterious guy I met late last night. Dominik takes a seat in the empty spot next to Ava.

"Ah, the guy who carried me to bed last night,"  I say, smirking into my glass as I take a sip. Ava turns to me confused; no doubt confused about how I remember that.  I don't Av, I just ran into him shirtless in the kitchen.

"Good morning, Callie. Good to see you well this morning." He says, wearing a smirk of his own and for some reason, I find that infuriating. Before I could reply, a clinking of glass get everyone's attention.