7. Callie

Finally, the weekend events are over, and we can get back to our usual schedule program. Ava and I are sitting on the bed watching TikTok together when we both look up at the knock on the door.

"Mrs. West wanted me to come tell you guys dinner's ready." He says, popping his head in the door.

"Okay. We'll come down in a minute." Ava answers.

"Hey, Av?" I ask. "I thought everyone left already?"

She nods her head. "They did but Dean and Dom are planning on moving here so they're staying a couple of days to look at some houses." Great. I felt some type of way about these two, I couldn't tell if I hated them or kind of started liking having them around. Most of all, I hated that I was confused about it.

"Ava, you're next to Dominik. Cal, you're next to Dean, honey." Mrs. West says, pointing towards our seats. I smile and thank her quietly before taking my seat. I see my cup sitting there filled with what I could only hope was a drink Dean made for me. Taking a sip from it, I recognize it to be just pure juice. I frown almost disappointed.

"Not tonight, sweetheart," Dean whispers down at me, seeming to catch my disappointment. I stare up at him with a fake pout, only making him chuckle at me. Dean wasn't as serious as Dominik was, which I've come to like about him.

Dinner goes on and as usual, I stay relatively quiet. Laughing at the jokes here and there and answering when I was spoken to.

"Mama?" Ava says. "We were hoping to go out tonight for a bit."

Mrs. West looks between both of us, nodding her head. "That should be fine, but I want you both back relatively early."

"Yes Ma'am," We both say in unison.

After dinner, we both clean up our plates and head to grab our coats. Dominik calls Ava before we could step out the door, stopping us. "I'll meet you outside, okay?" I nod, heading outside, shutting the door behind me. I wait on the porch, looking around as I hear some wrestling in the bushes. It scares me for a moment before I see James and Nick poke their heads out of the brush. I laugh before running up to James and in his arms. He grabs me holding me up and swinging me around.

"How are you today, love?" He says in my ear as he kisses me multiple times on the cheeks.

I shrug. "As I always am."

I hear someone clear their throat from across the yard, making me turn to see Ava and Dominik standing outside the doorway, watching us. For some reason, I immediately pull away from James under Dominik's gaze, standing off to the side more. Ava says goodbye and runs over to us before we begin to walk down the path.

"What was that all about?" I ask Ava.

"Oh, he gave me both their numbers just in case anything happens. He said to put them in our phones." She explains, holding her hand out for me to place my phone in. I do so but I'm still curious.

"Why do their numbers need to be in my phone too?"

She shrugs. "I don't know. Just in case, I guess."

Just as I was about to ask her another question, James wraps an arm around me and walks me away. "Come on, let's go smoke."

After about an hour of us all pasting around various blunts, Ava nudges my arm. "It's getting late, we should head back now." I nod, taking one last puff before handing it back to James. He pulls me in after taking the blunt from my fingers.

"Stay at my house tonight?" He asks. I did often spend the night at his house but for some reason, I wasn't really feeling it tonight, so I shake my head and kiss him on the cheek before pulling away.

"Can't. Ava and I already planned a movie night." I lie, hoping Ava goes along with it if he asks.

"Sorry James," She shrugs, pulling me away from him. "She's mine tonight." And with that, we say our goodbyes and start walking down the path toward her house.

"Why didn't you want to stay with James's tonight?"

I shrug, fetching a cigarette out of my pocket to give me something to puff on as we walk home. "I guess I just didn't feel like hooking up with him tonight," I mumble as I light the thing between my teeth.

"Does this have to do with two certain brooding fellas?" She asks, giggling. I always liked high Ava, she was more let go this way. Sometimes I think she's a little too high-stung for her own good.

"You mean Dominik and Dean?" I ask as I exhale the smoke. She nods. "What's up with that anyways? Those two are always together."

"Their best friends, inseparable since they were young." She says so casually. I hum in response and hand her the cigarette, which she turns her nose up to. The rest of the walk back was quiet. A comfortable kind of quiet.