12. Dean

It can't be later than 2 am when I'm woken up by my cell phone ringing on the bedside table. I would have ignored it if it wasn't from the person I've been dying to hear from.

"Callie? Are you okay?" I ask frantically as I sit up straight in my bed.

"Dean?" She responds, sounding like she's out of it and has been crying.

"Callie, what's wrong? Are you okay?"

"Dean, can you pick me up? I think I'm at the police station."

Fuck! "Yes, Callie I'll be right there. Just stay there, okay?"

The phone line goes dead after that but I'm already up and out of bed, getting dressed as fast as I can. Damnit, Callie! We've been waiting for her to reach out but not like this. I'm thankful she felt comfortable enough to call me but I really wish this wasn't the circumstance. Speaking of us, I walk past Nik's door and debate whether to wake him or not. Not sure whether he's asleep or not, I peek my head through his door and find that he is. Knowing he never gets enough sleep; I opt to leave him sleeping and tell him in the morning.

Pulling up to the police station, I wasn't sure if she had been booked or not, but I was hoping for the best. Thankfully I see her sitting on the curb with a police officer nearby. I pull up to the parking spot next to where they are.

"Hi officer," I say, stepping out of the car. "I'm here to pick up little miss," I say pointing to her where she sits, looking completely out of it.

"You must be Dean?" He says extending his hand out to me." She said her guardian was picking her up. That her parents weren't in the picture."

I nod, going along with her story. It is technically true but I am defiantly not her guardian, how she can lie and convince a police officer when she's so out of it, I had no idea.

I nod. "Yes. As you can see, she's having a hard time with it."

"I figured as much. I thought I'd give her a break and just wait with her until someone could pick her up. She was picked up from a college party and I wasn't very convinced she was a college student."

"Thank you, officer, means a lot. I should get her home, she doesn't look too good."

"I agree." He says as I crouch down next to her, finally gaining her attention.

"Dean!" She exclaims, surprisingly happy to see me. I'm happy to see you too, little brat.

"Hi, sweetheart. You ready to go?" She nods her head, throwing her hands up and making grabby hands with her fingers. "Alright, sweet girl," I say as I pick her up bridal style and put her in the front seat of the car.

She's completely knocked out on the way home, making it known that I will get absolutely no answers out of her tonight. I opt to take her to our house, instead of disturbing the Wests at this time of an hour. Also, I have no idea where she really lives and from what I've heard, I wouldn't want to take her there anyways.

Once we're home, I carry her to one of the spare rooms in the house. Not wanting her to be scared if she woke up with me laying with her. Not that I plan on leaving her alone. I fully plan on sitting in the armchair in the corner of the room to keep an eye out for her. Once she's settled, I grab her a glass of water and some ibuprofen to put on the night table beside her, there's no doubt she'll be needing them when she wakes up. I steal one last glance at her before settling in the armchair for the night.

By the time I wake up, it's about 8 A.M. A couple of hours later than I usually wake up. I groan as I stand up, my body sore from sleeping in a chair all night. As I make my way to the kitchen I could hear Nik already up and making breakfast.

"Hey! Where you've been? I looked in your room this morning and you weren't there?"

"Ah," I say with a chuckle, sitting down on one of the barstools, and running my hands down my face. "I slept in the guest room," I say as he slides a cup of coffee my way.

He pauses and quirks an eyebrow at me. "Why would you do that?"

"Because I had to watch over Callie all night."

That stops his whisking hand. "Callie?"

I nod, taking a sip of my much-needed coffee. "Had to pick her up from the police station early this morning."

"She called you?"

I nod again. "She's in there sleeping off whatever she took last night," I explain.

"God damn it," He shakes his head, turning off the burner of the stove. "Was she booked?"

"Luckily not. She very well could have been through. Lucky for her, the officers took pity on her. Waited with her until I showed up. She was pretty out of it though."

"Why didn't you wake me up?"

I cock my eyebrow at him. "You were sleeping for once."

"Yeah, but this is Callie we're talking about. We've been waiting for her to reach out for weeks."

"Well, she was up for much questioning last night, I just figured we'd talk to her when she wakes."

"We need to have a serious conversation with her. This time not giving her a chance to run before she hears us out."

I nod, in total agreement. We need to have this conversation or I'm afraid this situation is going to get a lot worse.

-
Authors note; thank you to the officer that gave me a chance and inspired this chapter!