5. Dominik

"How's your friend this morning?" I say from behind Ava, who sitting at the dining table. The empty spot with a full plate on the table tells me Callie is still here.

"Surprisingly good for the circumstances." she smiles, turning in her chair to face me. "Where's Dean?" She asks, glancing around, "I thought he'd be here by now?"

"He'll be here soon. He called this morning and got held up a bit so he's running late."

"Have you thought about it?" She asks, looking up at me eagerly.

"Ava," I warn. Before I could say anything else, Callie walks up holding two cups of orange juice in her hand. Or what looks like two cups of orange juice. I eye one suspiciously, as it looks a little more watered down than the other.

"Oh Cal," Ava says as if her presence startled her.

"Hey," Callie says warily before handing a cup of orange juice to Ava. Keeping the water down one for herself. I turn to look over at the drink cart and my suspicions are confirmed. Champagne.  This little brat made herself a mimosa.

I take a seat next to Ava which wasn't my plan, to begin with, but the more I'm around Callie, the more interested I am. I'm starting to see what Ava was talking about. Ava shoots me a smug smile as if she caught on to what I was thinking but I just shake my head in response.

Wearing the same smug smile, she goes on to introduce us. "Callie this is Dominik, Dominik this is Callie."

Callie looks up at me with a glint of mischievousness in her eyes. "Ah. The guy who carried me to bed last night." She says, smirking into her cup as she takes a sip. Ava's head snaps to her friends probably wondering how she remembers that. So, she hasn't told her friend that she met me in the kitchen last night.

I smile, inwardly chuckling to myself. "Good morning, Callie. Nice to see you well this morning." I say, with my lips forming into a smirk. Her eyes twitch, with almost what looks like annoyance but before she could rebuttal, the clanking of glass catches our attention.

For the rest of breakfast, Callie wasn't very talkative. Which seemed up to date with what Ava told me, I guess she doesn't usually stay around for these kinds of things, something to do with her family, I guess. Ava and I exchange small talk with one another in the meanwhile. Part of me was hoping Dean would show up and take the empty seat next to Callie so he could see for himself, but I guess he was running a bit later than he let on.

Breakfast wrapped up and we all lent a hand in the cleanup, even with The West's insisting we didn't. Throughout the cleanup, I may have noticed that Callie didn't stick around. I guess that she took all the commotion as her cue to get a clean getaway.

About thirty minutes later, I get a text from Dean saying he just arrived and he's out front, so I make my way out to greet him. No one quite understands Dean and I's relationship and we don't really expect them to. For all they know is that we've always been super close but in reality, that's not even half of it.

I grab my coat, shrugging it on as I open the door. I pause on the porch, taking in the sight in front of me. Dean gets off his bike, unbuckling his helmet as Callie emerges from the woods behind her. What a coincidence.

"Hey man, glad to see you finally made it!" I shout, holding my hands out to emerge him in a hug.

"I told you I was running late." He huffs but my focus was no longer on him but on Callie as she gets closer to us. Callie pauses as she see she isn't the only one outside.   The way her eyes widen as she looks over Dean made my lips tug up into a small smile. Her eyes flick between both of us for a moment before she looks back down at her hands. Like what you see, darling?

"Hi, Callie," I say which makes Dean instantly turn. Yes, Dean, this is the girl Ava's been telling us about.

"Hi," she says sheepishly which didn't seem of her nature at all.  Was she nervous? She stops in between us, and my eyes immediately scan between hers. The bright redness tells me she's not nervous, she's high. She slipped out of the house to get high. If she was ours, she'd be racking up quite a tally. Heck if she was ours, this behavior wouldn't be tolerated.

"Callie, this is Dean. Dean this is Callie." I say raking in my thoughts about her behavior to introduce the two. Dean holds out a hand which Callie looks down at before slowly moving to take it.

"Hi, Callie. Nice to meet you," he says, shaking her hand. The smell of weed is practically radiating off of her at this point.

"Same." She says, putting her hand back down to her side. "I should be going back inside now," she says, trying to dismiss herself. She walks ahead of us before I call her name, stopping her in her tracks. I walk up, closing the space between us. She turns to me as I fish something out of my inner coat pocket.

"Use these before you go back inside," I say handing her a bottle of eye drops. "I'd also consider some perfume or a change of clothes if I was you." She looks at me stunned for a moment before her usual cold demeanor takes over.

She chuckles a bit before shaking her head. "Not my first rodeo buddy," she says pulling a bottle of her own out of her pocket and shaking it in front of my face before turning on her heel and walking back into the house.

I turn towards Dean; we both share a knowing look. Everything Ava said about this girl is proving to be true and maybe just maybe we could help her from spiraling out of control more than she already has.