𝟐𝟔|rules

∴ ∵ ∴ ∵ ∴ ∵ ∴ ∵ ∴

∵ ∴ ∵ ∴ ∵ ∴ ∵ ∴ ∵

∵ ∴ ∵ ∴ ∵ ∴ ∵ ∴ ∵

After the excitement of finding the gold, the Pogues went back to the Chateau to celebrate.  They got out several beers, opened some chips and JJ got out his Juul. They sat in the living room which was illuminated by battery-operated lamps, laughing and talking excitedly.

Callie inhaled deeply before handing JJ back the Juul. Holding it a moment she then let out the smoke in one long breath.
"So, we know where it is. Now what?" she asked as she opened a beer.

"Tomorrow night we're going back for all of it," John B announced. "We'll worry about a plan in the morning. Right now, I just want to live in the moment and the fact that my dad was actually right."

Sarah Cameron put an arm around the boy, holding him close to her. "I told you it would all work out," she said softly.

Watching them together, Callie realised that on some level, she may have been jealous of John B. She had never experienced something like that. Sure, she had had relationships but none of the people she had been with had looked at her the way they looked at each other.

Callie grimaced at the thought of being jealous of John B, downing the rest of her beer.

"Woah, slow down, Cal," Kiara laughed. "We've got all night."

Callie felt eyes on her. Turning, she saw JJ watching her curiously; he had seen her staring at John B and Sarah Cameron. JJ had been confused at first - why did she look bitter when she didn't seem against them being together?

And then a thought had occurred to him. Maybe she was realising what he had; that the rules didn't make sense. John B was dating a Kook, which was considerably worse than a Pogue, so why couldn't Pogues be with Pogues?

John B lowered his own bottle, shaking his head, "Actually, we don't. I think we should all go home so that we've all got an alibi. It's less suspicious if the old lady calls the cops and Peterkin starts poking around, you know?"

"John B has a point," Pope agreed as he stood up. "Plus, my dad might kill me. I have to be careful with my interview coming up. He already doesn't like you guys."

"And we love Mr Heyward, too," JJ said sarcastically, raising his bottle as a little salute.

Pope rolled his eyes as he finished off his drink, putting the empty bottle down on the table. "Alright. So, first thing tomorrow we all meet up back here and make a plan."

"Fine," Kiara sighed as she finished off her drink. "First thing. We need to make a solid plan so that we don't screw this up. If we don't get the gold tomorrow, we might now get another chance."

Over the next half hour, they all began to filter out of the Chateau. Pope left first, knowing that he would have an early shift at the docks before he could meet his friends. Kiara went next since she had told her parents she wasn't staying at the Chateau. And then John B and Sarah Cameron headed off, Jonh B not wanting to disrespect Mr Cameron since he was taking him in.