𝟒𝟗|killjoy

∴ ∵ ∴ ∵ ∴ ∵ ∴ ∵ ∴

∵ ∴ ∵ ∴ ∵ ∴ ∵ ∴ ∵

∵ ∴ ∵ ∴ ∵ ∴ ∵ ∴ ∵

Back at the Chateau the Pogues started up their own mini bonfire and switched on the fairy lights that JJ had set up when he had brought the hot tub. They popped open a bag of marshmallows and got to roasting as they poured themselves some cheap drinks. Callie had always preferred nights like these to the big beach parties anyway.

After what had happened, though, she was finding it quite difficult to enjoy herself. While her friends chatted amongst themselves Callie sat by the fire sipping at her drinks. She had decidedly stopped counting a while ago, attempting to extinguish her anger with alcohol.

She was having trouble deciding who she was the most mad at. JJ for being a tool and saying the things that he had said, or herself for letting herself believe that he felt about her the same way she felt about him.

No.

He had been about to say it, she knew that. Callie wasn't stupid, she knew what she had heard. Him not saying it wasn't what had broken her heart, though. That she could have lived with if he had just told her he wasn't ready to commit to that yet; that was all he had to say.

But instead, he had gone in the complete opposite direction and made her feel like he saw her as some girl who was just obsessed with him. Finishing off her drink, Callie leaned over, grabbed a bottle of the closest alcohol and poured herself another.

'When we spoke this morning, why the fuck do you think I didn't want to tell the others? We both agreed - this was friends with benefits and nothing more.'

It had been dark but she had seen his face as clear as day when he'd made his spiel.

'This. . . this isn't that,' he'd said, confirming those small itches in the back of her mind telling her that this whole thing had been a bad idea.

His voice was firm and unwavering as if he'd rehearsed what he would say, 'You know me and rules and you were up for it so I went for it.'

Callie looked up, glimpsing at the boy through the fire.
'Don't get angry at me because you had a crush on me.'

Looking at him and thinking of his words only rekindled her anger, the girl downing her drink. She just wanted to drown him out - she needed to drown him out.

Or maybe she just needed to straight-up drown him.

Callie laughed to herself at the thought, drawing John B's attention.
"What's so funny?" he asked.

The girl shook her head, pouring herself another drink. "Oh, nothing, really. It's just been a really long. . . well, I barely even know where to pinpoint where everything went to shit at this point."