Chapter Sixteen

I awoke with a sheer layer of sweat covering my body, my breath failing to catch up with my heart that threatened to burst out of my chest. My nightmares were getting worse as the nights past, I longed for the days that they were merely a figment of my imagination. They always warned you of the monsters that lurked under your bed but failed to prepare you for the knowledge that the real monsters are the ones that lay above the bed.

My training had been cut short to say the least; I was now holding the burden of being Queen of Hell. It sounds like a joke when I say it out loud, but the pain is what makes it real. Everyday I'm forced to face hundreds of begging souls, which didn't even make sense to me at first. If they had souls how could they be here, and the thought of soul mates then came to mind as well, how could you one if you're meant to be soulless. I had asked Rogo and he merely laughed looking far too amused.

He explained how we are all born with a soul, half pure and half dark. It depends on which part you feed the most in your lifetime that determines what you become. Now that may as well have been the only simple concept around here. I was struggling to keep up and Lucifer decided he could just kick back now.

I quickly bathed in the grand bathroom, as it had an actual pure gold bathtub. Honestly these demons had way too many luxuries if you asked me, but I wasn't complaining now that this was my home.

Since the fateful night about a week ago that Satan had given me the throne, I was thrown into a whirlwind of new responsibilities. I no longer had him as a shadow helping me as I would dictate the wrongful souls, instead I was alone.

Rogo had business to attend, meaning he was training those who would be appointed as guards and servants. So his absence I could understand, but I hadn't seen Demetrius at all. Every time I went to his chambers I was informed that I had just missed him, the castle was empty of his presence, I couldn't feel his presence around anymore. I had asked everyone, all the guards and even some servants but no one had seen him.

My coronation was tonight. I had some power the night I was given the throne but the completion of it came tonight. The demons were ecstatic about this but I knew better than to believe it was for me. They saw an opportunity and are itching to achieve it. My father, Satan, was seen as indestructible here but they saw me as something temporary and easily removable. They all want the throne as assume it will easy but couldn't be more wrong.

"My Queen" I hear a deep voice sound from behind me. I turn around facing the guard I recognized from the first night I had been here. "Master requests your presence in his office" He continues, bowing his head in respect.

"Tell him to meet me in the courtyard" I say simply and his lips twitched nervously, I could understand why of course, everyone was so used to obeying every one of his rules but if I wanted to be taken seriously I had to appear a lot stronger than I am.

***

Rogo had come to my chambers later on that night and it was definitely the highlight of my week.

"I missed you" He mumbled into my hair, holding me close as I had wrapped my arms around his neck.

"Missed you too RoRo" I teased and he groaned at the stupid nickname making me laugh as I pulled away from him but he kept his arms around my waist.

"How was training?" I asked and he rolled his eyes. 

"How do you think it went?" He asked unamused. I remember him telling me how difficult the demons could be at first, they obviously don't obey well and the darkness in their souls prevents them from cooperating but as soon as Satan would demand something, it didn't matter if your soul was pure or tainted, you would do as asked.