Question 104: Autistic characters

WolfPaw2345 asks: Do you think you could do a chapter on characters that are autistic please?

Today's guest post is from henry_scott, a thriller, science fiction, and horror writer with finished novels on Amazon in ebook, paperback, and hardcover. He shares his personal experience to help answer this question...

---

Autism or Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) is a range of conditions that affect 1 in 50 children today. It is characterized by difficulties in social skills, repetitive behaviors, speech, and nonverbal communication. As the name states, the disorder occurs over a broad spectrum from the severe to the mild in varying categories. One person's symptoms can and will be drastically different from another. Therefore, writing an autistic character is difficult since there will also be a broad spectrum of experiences with the disorder based on personal knowledge from the reader themselves, a close relative, or a friend. Expect criticism!

My personal experience is with a relative. He is very smart and caring but extremely introverted. He doesn't like physical touch and avoids eye contact. These difficulties have hindered his ability to pick up and understand nonverbal or social cues. He doesn't have close friends, but it doesn't bother him as he grows bored quickly with his peers and prefers time alone with his very specific interests. Yet, he has infinite patience and loves spending time with small children and animals. Furthermore, he sees things either black or white. There are no shades of grey. It is either right or wrong. Good or bad. Acceptable or unacceptable, and changing his opinion on a subject is next to impossible.

I won't lie. The relationship can be challenging at times. Frustrating. But uniquely special. He is high functioning. He graduated high school, earned a driver's license, goes to college, and holds a job. However, I will still be disappointed if I let my preconceived expectations for him get in the way of the reality of our relationship and his place in society.

The cause of the disorder is unknown. A lot of controversial opinions exist that are not worth mentioning. Early recognition is key. Speech, behavioral, and developmental therapies may reduce the symptoms, but there is no cure. Countless non-fiction books cover the subject, and several fiction stories treat autistic characters with tolerance and understanding— not as one-dimensional foils. One novel I particularly liked was The Curious Case of the Dog in the Night-time. In the story, a fifteen-year-old boy whose behaviors would suggest he is on the spectrum is wrongly accused of killing a neighbor's dog. When he is released from custody, he launches his own investigation into the crime and discovers more than he bargained for. It has been met with both criticism and praise, but I feel the nuanced portrayal of the protagonist provides valuable insight into the mind and actions of someone on the spectrum.

If you choose to include a character with Autism in your story, the writer should use the same care they'd use with any marginalized community. Please base the character's actions, thoughts, and behaviors on personal experience and/or lots of research, so the reader can appreciate the benefit that people with ASD can provide to the world.

---

Thanks, Henry! A couple of other books you can check out with autistic characters:

Trust Your Heart (https://www.wattpad.com/story/190276172)

Zombie Soap (https://www.wattpad.com/story/193090269)

Additional note: The landscape for terms is always changing. Many of us, who may or may not be dinosaur age, are used to terms from years ago that were commonplace and considered inoffensive at the time. One such term is "high-functioning" or "low-functioning" when referring to autistic individuals. Advocates assert that it places certain connotations on one's intelligence, skills, or strengths, so they wish to do away with the term. When writing your story, it's best not to use this phrase. Or if you do, have one character state why it's not ideal to use it anymore.