Question 31: Avoiding a rushed plot

RenReadsArchives asks: How to avoid rushing the plot?

A story feels rushed to a reader when things seem to happen too quickly or too neatly (as in things seem to coincidentally all work out nicely). The rushed feeling is undesirable because it doesn't feel realistic or plausible. This often happens when we get impatient to write "the good parts" or we just want to finish already.

Stories often feel rushed when...

1. Things keep happening, but we still know very little about the characters. Take some time to add scenes that show us personality, habits, or other characteristics. They should be related to the plot, of course, but the better we understand the character, the more enjoyable the story is.

2. The ending is a summary of events. By the time some writers get to the end of their story, they're tired or running out of ideas. So they'll tell the reader what happens within a few pages. This anti-climactic, and the reader will feel cheated. It feels like a summary rather than a story. This is okay in an epilogue, where you are basically summarizing what happens after the story's end. But the primary story needs to be told in the same manner as the rest of the story.

3. Not enough tension. Building tension is a big part of maintaining interest. (I do have a chapter on adding tension, so look for that if you need more info.) Without tension, it's just a sequence of events that some characters are going through. There's no suspense about what happens next. That doesn't mean the story is bad, but with tension, it could be riveting.

There are probably some other elements I'm missing, so feel free to chime in! I'm a bit distracted right now, because I'm affected by all the fires going on in Southern California. Had to evacuate my house. My family and I are fine, and the house is okay so far, but it's still worrisome, y'know? Anyway, hopefully I've given at least a little helpful information.

UPDATE: I am safe, and back at home! Thank goodness all the awesome fire crews were able to keep the blaze from spreading. Warm thanks to everyone who cared and sent me notes. I appreciate all of you!