14. Recognize Can't Versus Won't

If you're like most writers, you have at some point read something amazing, and then felt like utter crap because it was so much better than what you write now. Perhaps you even said, "I could never write like that." If you keep saying things like that, it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.

These types of thoughts contribute to a type of paralysis. You stop writing because you think it's rubbish. And if you can't be brilliant, then why bother?

"I can't write the way I want to."

No one is born being good at anything except crying and pooping. We learn how to be good at everything else. You want to write better? Then put in the work and learn how. Practice. Read examples of good writing. Practice some more. Get feedback. You CAN write the way you want to, if you put in the work. You just have to want it.

"I can't finish what I start."

You can. You had the gumption to start the thing, you certainly have the wherewithal to finish it. Starting something is easier than finishing it, that's true. However, it doesn't mean you can't do it. You have the physical capacity to do it, so there's no "can't" about it. You just don't want it badly enough.

"I can't figure out what's wrong with my story."

Get help. It's a sad fact of life--for every writer--that we are simply too close to our own work to recognize the flaws. With observations from a neutral third party, the problems become apparent, and that's how we figure out what to fix. Refusing to seek help simply means you don't want to hear about the flaws. If that's the case, then you'll never improve.

The next time you find yourself saying you can't do something, stop and ask yourself, "Is this actually true, or am I just being impatient?" In most cases, you can do it, and are just having a hard time finding the will to make it happen.

*If you have any other "can'ts" plaguing you, I'd like to hear about it! In the meantime, I'd appreciate a vote. Thank you!