Question 85: Injuries

Sam11Kenobi asks: Any advice on writing accident scenes? Like the character getting hurt while playing a sport and such.

They're Surprising

Injuries tend to be unexpected, so focus on the surprise of it. For example, the character could be running, watching the arc of the football, picturing himself where he needs to be, reaching out for the ball, gracefully catching it (sorry soccer fans, I'm talking about American football, heh), and then he suddenly gets flattened by a linebacker. The air gets knocked out of him and he can barely breathe. Unless you're an onlooker watching the whole thing, accidents tend to feel like they came out of nowhere because the character is so focused on something else.

They're Confusing

Because the character had been so focused on something else, in this case, catching the ball, it'll take him a little while to figure out what just happened. Be sure to describe the thoughts that run through the character's mind. He's stunned and unsure what just happened. Wasn't he about to run down the field with the ball? Wait, did he still have the ball? Where had that linebacker come from?

They're Painful

Pain from an injury can be immediate, or it can be delayed. It depends on the person and their mindset (and also the severity of the injury). Shock has a way of dulling the pain until one comes to their senses. Or, in our example, the football player could have been so worried about whether he still had the ball or not he might not notice that his ankle is swollen.

Certain injuries will cause you to scream with pain, though. I'm not sure any amount of shock will numb a leg getting bent the wrong way.

Purpose

Think about what the purpose of this injury is within your story. Is it to show how focused the character is on his sport? Is it to highlight a traumatic moment? Is it an event that altered the trajectory of the character's life? The purpose of the injury will direct how you portray the scene.

For example, if showing focus, then the scene could describe how the player didn't even realize he was injured because he kept thinking about the game and whether he'd successfully caught the ball or not. If highlighting trauma, then you might want to describe how painful it is, and what worries are going through his mind afterward. If it's a life-altering event, the character can have a sinking feeling about what this injury means to his career. He starts worrying about his future rather than his present.

Research

As always, research the injury you are writing about. Go to Google and search phrases like, "Can you walk on a twisted ankle" or "Can you play football again after breaking your leg" or "how long to heal a broken wrist". Whenever you're unsure about something, a quick search will usually reveal answers. This will make your scenario much more believable, especially to those who have experienced those injuries before.

Although I talked about sports injuries here, the same principles can be applied to other injuries, like getting shot or falling on your face. Think about the purpose of the injury, and then write so the scene reveals the information you want. Injuries mean different things to different people. For some it's just a bump in the road, while it may feel like the end of the world for someone else. Write from the perspective of your character. That way, the injury can help the reader learn things about that character.