𝟎𝟕 - 𝑻𝑯𝑬 𝑨𝑵𝑮𝑬𝑳

"𝐄𝐝𝐝𝐢𝐞, 𝐰𝐢𝐥𝐥 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐳𝐢𝐩 𝐦𝐞 𝐮𝐩?"

☾ 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐀𝐍𝐆𝐄𝐋 ☽

𝐅𝐀𝐍𝐃𝐎𝐌:

﹄the batman (2022)

𝐁𝐎𝐎𝐊:

﹄fail-safe

﹄atonement (unpublished)

𝐍𝐀𝐌𝐄(𝐒):

﹄(y/n) carlisle

﹄clara carlisle

𝐅𝐀𝐂𝐄-𝐂𝐋𝐀𝐈𝐌:

﹄hannah murray

𝐀𝐆𝐄:

﹄23

𝐁𝐀𝐂𝐊𝐒𝐓𝐎𝐑𝐘:

﹄clara carlisle was abandoned on the steps of gotham's orphanage as an infant, only ever knowing fellow orphans and nurses in her early childhood until edward nashton entered the facility. 

﹄edward was one year older than clara, making him the oldest child at the orphanage. he took on several responsibilities such as caring for the younger children and sneaking off of the grounds to beg for food in the city. he grew dependent on clara as they grew up together and he taught her riddles and puzzles to pass the time. 

﹄in later childhood, the wayne family paid a visit to the orphanage in order to boost mr. wayne's mayoral campaign. clara became infatuated with high society and the concept of wealth. she made it her goal to work for the wayne family -- a desire that was immediately shut down by eddie, who immediately sought out the corruption in their city's leaders.

﹄when she was eleven years old, clara was caught out of her room by one of the staff members while she was out looking for eddie who still hadn't returned from the city. as punishment, she was locked in an isolation room for 72 hours, surviving off of whatever the younger children could fit through the slot underneath the door. in adulthood, this incident manifested into severe claustrophobia and anxiousness about locked doors. 

﹄around her twelfth birthday and eddie's thirteenth, he began taking her into gotham with him in fear of leaving her alone in the orphanage without his protection. it is at this point that she realizes that he wasn't just stealing money and food, but selling drops as well. 

﹄also following the isolation incident, clara develops severe depression and edward, not knowing any better, begins pushing drops onto her because he's seen how happy they make the people he sells them to. this starts a dangerous dependency on drops that edward feels immensely guilty for in his adult life.

𝐇𝐄𝐀𝐃𝐂𝐀𝐍𝐎𝐍𝐒:

﹄when the events of fail-safe take place, clara is 2 years sober from drops. she has had ample opportunity to bum them off of club-goers at the Iceberg Lounge, but she deeply distrusts anything that doesn't go through eddie first. it was her trust for him that initially led to her addiction. 

﹄atonement, the planned sequel to fail-safe, includes the events of the first book in the point of view of bruce wayne.