Chapter 2.

When I got home it was 2:30 am my mom was fast asleep (thank god) we weren't close at all so I was relieved when I heard her snoring. I plopped right onto our sofa and fell asleep.

I wake up by the small of burnt toast, mom looks at me and says "what the fuck happened to you??" I sigh and say "well a lot, put in two breads will you?" I gesture at the toaster. I'm on my way to the bathroom "I'm gonna shower, there's some money in my room under my pillow if you wanna go buy some cigarettes." Mom never worked, dad did all the work literally. She never cleaned up, didn't take me to school, she just worshipped the ground my dad walked on. Dad knew she was lazy so he left all his money for me. So basically I'm taking care of rent, food, clothes, cigarettes and all she does is lay in bed binge watching "The Bachelor". I work a part-time job after school. I work at a nearby gas station, luckily not that busy but hours are long sometimes but the pay is good.

When I finished showering I looked at myself in the mirror and saw all the bruises I had. I headed straight to my moms room to get her foundation, teachers think I'm abused so I have to cover up, I went to my room picked up a shirt, smelt it, shrugged and pulled it over my head, saw some black chinos and put it on and finally put on my classic all-star converse sneakers and my dad's wedding ring. Grabbed a toast and went to get my BMX from the porch and made my way to the new girl's place.

When I got to her house she wasn't there. I decided to go to school but then I saw those beautiful brown hair across the street at Benny's. Went over there and saw the pinkest bicycle I've ever seen, she smiled when she saw me. "Hey stranger or shall I call you my savior?" She giggles "Call me whatever you want preferably yours" I winked at her and she looked pissed, the fuck did I do? I thought. "Please I'm not interested, you saved me but I'm straight and I'd appreciate it if you'd stop flirting" wow I haven't gotten turned down before "my apologies malady, although I was joking id like to know your name" I smirked she looked like she was about to burst of embarrassment but she smiled and said "I'm Veronica Jameson and you are??" I smile and I say "Jess Kennedy, pleasure to meet you" I slightly curtsy. She laughs and asks me to show her the way to school.

The ride to school was awkwardly quiet. I couldn't help but feel a little embarrassed and heartbroken when she said she's not interested. I told myself to just respect her wishes but I had a feeling she would break at some point. "Here we are." I say as we turn onto school grounds and settle our bikes at the bike racks. She takes a step back to look at the entrance of the school. "It's a piece of shit I know... Don't worry it's not too ghetto people usually behave themselves. You'd be surprised how many people pay attention in class. They just want they're diploma and get out of this shithole." Her eyes wander around eyeing every clique "who are they?" She points to Toni and her friends. "Girl with the purple hair is Toni and I believe the rest are waiting for my weed." I shake a bag of joints and head twords them. Veronica trails behind me. "Toni! I got you something." Her face lights up and heads over to me. She hugs me, kisses me on the cheek and immediately takes out a joint and lights it up, her 'friends' are already asking for a hit and I hand out the rest of my joints to them. Toni looks at me a bit confused "you don't want a hit?" She clearly doesn't remember last night. I take advantage of this situation and take a big hit. I let out a big cloud of smoke and I hear coughing I immediately turn around remembering Veronica was behind me I look at her kinda surprised and ask "you want a hit?" I smile sheepishly and hand the joint to her. She looks annoyed and pushes my hand away "No. No thanks I don't do drugs" she looks at me disappointed and I feel like a little kid that got in trouble. Toni pushes past me and introduces herself to Veronica "Hi! I'm Antoinette but everyone calls me Toni! Who are you?" Toni smiles holding out her hand for a handshake. Veronica reluctantly shakes her hand and says "I'm Veronica, I'm new." I noticed a hint of jealousy when the bell rings. We all scatter and head to our homerooms, I guide Veronica towards her homeroom and I stop her and say "Sorry about that. I completely forgot you were behind me" she looks at me and says "it's ok, I'm just mad that you flirted with me when you have a girlfriend." She turns and heads into the classroom. I'm shocked, girlfriend? Did she mean Toni? And why does she care? She said she's not interested why the change of heart?

The time flew by and it was lunch. I wandered around a little to find Veronica. She was talking to Jason, one of Aidens drug buddies. I'm instantly in protective mode and I hurry twords them. "Hey V" I say putting my body in front of her ignoring Jason, she looked annoyed by my action and says "hey Jess, this is Jason, my new friend. I'm sure you two know each with how small this school and town is". Oh we know each other alright I thought to myself. "Uh yeah anyway can I talk to you in private V?" She looks pissed at this point but reluctantly steps aside. "What" she says annoyed "please don't hang out with that guy, he's really bad news and I don't want you getting mugged or something" she looks over to Jason and back to me "what's he gonna do" she laughs "he's like 60 pounds" she laughs again "you know why?" I say, she looks at me confused "what do you mean?" I shrug her question off and say "just trust me please Veronica he's not someone you wanna hang out with." She looks at me a little worried and says "ok ok. I won't hang out with him." I'm relieved and hope she'll listen to me, I guide her to the cafeteria.