Chapter 8: Thirsty Fox

Phaedra was surprised by what she saw when she opened the door.

Eloise is here.

A moment of silence has occurred. Everyone is silent. Everyone is staring at one another. There was no smile or movement. They act as though they're a doll.

"E-el?" someone speaks.

"Oh. Is it Aviona? Excuse me, Phae," Eloise whispered softly as she leaned behind Phaedra.

Lorcan taps Phaedra's shoulder and whispers, "Sorry," in her ear. Phaedra is still stunned and not moving.

"There's nothing to apologize for."

"Sorry. I believe I should keep quiet about what I'm seeing."

"It's okay."

"Hey, you two! Why are you still standing there so long?"

"Ahh. Yes, we have some things to discuss." Phaedra is simply pretending to laugh at Eloise. "Let's go, Lor," Phaedra says simply, smiling at Lorcan.

"Hey Avi, do they both look good together?" Eloise points to Lorcan and Phaedra.

Aviona simply laughs at what Eloise is saying.

"Oh, and by the way, guys.. Why do you appear so surprised after seeing me?"

"Nothing.. We can't believe you're here, El," Lorcan stated flatly to Eloise, who remained perplexed and inquisitive.

"Ah, that's it.. why don't you guys tell me about Aviona? I mean, she is already awake."

"We're so enamored with Aviona that we forgot to inform you." Phaedra looks genuinely sorry for Eloise.

"Ah. I see. Forget about it. Let's have a group hug! I miss you very much, guys!"

They all come together for a friendly hug.

"Thank you very much for looking after me."

"You're still really attractive, Avi."

"I agree."

"Hold on, guys. I'm having trouble breathing."

"Oh. I'm sorry, Phae."

The room, which had been somber and full of tears as they waited for Aviona to wake up, was finally filled with laughter and boisterous conversations. A nurse has entered the room as they are conversing with one other.

"Sorry for interrupting your conversation, but Aviona needs to rest for her quick recovery, and by the way, this letter was sent for you by a man. According to the man, you will be the one to read it. So, please give Aviona some space and time to relax. Her family will arrive later, and they will be the ones to accompany her."

My family will go here? I don't know how to face them. They will just mock me for what I have done with my life.

"All right, nurse. We'll only depart once Aviona's parents arrive. Many thanks!" Eloise explained.

"Okay. Thank you and please let Aviona read the letter all by herself. It's very personal, I think, and the man wrote it just for her."

"Yes, we will. Many thanks!" Lorcan nodded as he spoke to the nurse.

I'm so confused about what will be inside the letter. Maybe someone saw what I did that night. Nobody should ever find out.

The nurse has now left them, leaving only the four of them in the room.

"Avi, you want us to leave for a while and read what's inside the letter?" Lorcan said to Aviona.

"Yes, can we?" Phaedra concurs with what Lorcan said.

"Just say it to us, we'll leave right away." Eloise agrees with what the two have said.

"It's okay, guys. I have no energy to read it for now. Maybe some other time."

"We understand you, Avi." Lorcan smiled at Aviona.

"Go have some rest." Eloise slowly brushes Aviona's hair.

"Your parents will be here soon. We'll take care of everything. Just have some rest." Phaedra replied.

"Thank you, guys. I'm delighted you've arrived. I'll go get some rest now," Aviona said, smiling to everyone and slipping the letter into the pocket of her hospital gown.

"Goodnight, Aviona," they all said at the same time, and Aviona fell asleep.

"I'll just walk downstairs and bring you some dinner, Phae and El. Simply watch Aviona."

"All right, Lorcan. Many thanks! Be safe!" Lorcan received an answer from Eloise.

"Of course, Lor, stay safe!" Lorcan received a response from Phaedra as well.

Lorcan rushes out of the room, leaving only the three of them there. Silence has struck once more. Phaedra, who is in a state of confusion, breaks the silence in the room. She finally asks Eloise who the man is she has been seeing lately.

"El, may I ask you a question?" Phaedra wipes the sweat from her hands on her jeans.

"What exactly is it, Phae?" Eloise examines Phaedra.

"Uhm.. recently someone saw you with a man. Can I ask who is that man?"

"Oh that man, it's my classmate. Why do you ask?"

"It's just that man looks so familiar; someone's just said that to me." This time Phaedra can't look at Eloise in the eyes because she feels so nervous.

"Who is that someone? Are you spying on me?" Eloise asks Phaedra about something. She doesn't seem mad based on her voice, but Phaedra seems nervous about what Eloise asked about.

"Ah no, no, no. There's someone who just saw you accidentally." Phaedra suddenly answered "NO" so that there would be no misunderstanding.

"Ah okay. It's just my classmate." Eloise cleared it out.

"May I know his name?"

"His name is Astennu. Why?"

"What a wonderful name. Nothing, El. I'm just confused.."

"Don't worry about me, Phae. It's just a classmate."

"Yeah right."

"Ah, about recently. I'm so sorry for my actions. It's just that I'm just not in the mood."

"It's okay, El. I understand." Phaedra finally looked at Eloise's eyes and smiled.

"Thank you, Phae. You're so understanding. Can we hug? I miss you, my best friend."

"I missed you too, best friend."

So his name is Astennu. I will go find you. I think you saw what happened that night, and I won't let you know about it. It's between tears or blood.