Marks (Severus Snape x fem!reader*) Soulmate AU

(*- can be read as a gender neutral reader. The request was for a fem!reader, but no pronouns are used for them. Also warnings for angst. Magical violence, injury, blood, and death. There is no happiness here.)

The day the mark appeared on your skin, you were confused. All the years you could have seen marks on your skin, this was the first one your soulmate had done himself. You weren't sure how you knew, but you were certain the various bruises and scars along your soulmate's body did not come from them. So this mark, this tattoo, was a surprise that sent shivers down your spine.

The Dark Mark was known to all people in the wizarding world, even Muggle-born witches like you. The mark of He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named. The mark his followers were branded with. And your soulmate was one of them. It broke your heart for them, whoever they were. You hated that fate was cruel as to decide that every mark your soulmate made or received on their skin showed up...every mark except for names.

That didn't stop you from spending many evenings writing to your soulmate. You were grateful to your parents for supplying you with Muggle pens in addition to your quills. Quills hurt if you write on yourself with them. You would use those to write to your soulmate. Not that they ever wrote back. You never knew, but you hoped that whoever they were would know that you were there for them whenever they were ready to finally meet. It wasn't until you were fully grown and the wizarding world was in danger from a resurrected Voldemort that you FINALLY learned who your soulmate was.

You were fighting against the Death Eaters that had invaded Hogwarts when you felt something on your neck. Unlike all your other soulmate marks, this one hurt. It almost felt like fire under your skin and you could feel the blood dripping down your neck. Your heart began pounding against your rib cage. Where was your soulmate? What had happened to them?

You were so distracted for a moment that you almost got yourself hurt. Luckily for you, you had Molly Weasley near you. She was a great friend who looked out for others. You gave her a smile before you rushed off. The chances were good that your soulmate was here, in the school, or just outside it. If that was true, you needed to find them before it was too late.

You ran through the collapsing school, taking down Death Eaters as you went. Part of you expected to fall down in pain yourself when you hit one. Your soulmate had the Dark Mark after all. But you hadn't received another mark since the one on your neck. Either your soulmate had gotten to safety or they were...no you couldn't think that way. Not yet.

High and low you search to no avail. There was no sign of anyone else with a neck injury. After a while, you gave up. The Death Eaters disappeared from the school, at least for the time being. You sank to the ground, your head in your hands. You sat there fighting back tears until you felt someone reaching out to touch your neck. "Don't bother," you muttered, "It's from my soulmate."

"Your soulmate, Professor?" You recognized the voice of Hermione Granger. You glanced up at her with a tired smile. It did your heart good to see her alive and somewhat well. "Yes." Her brows furrowed and she frowned. "Your soulmate was Professor Snape?"

Your eyes widened. "S-Severus? Why do you think that?" you asked. Hermione explained what she and her two best friends had seen. "I think it might be too late," she whispered. You shook your head before jumping up. You needed to get to him. If you could save him, you had to at least try. "Hold on, Severus," you pleaded softly, "Please, hold on."

As you ran, Severus was the only thing on your mind. You couldn't believe it. You'd been going to school and then working near him for years. How had you never figured out what he was to you? Had he known? You really couldn't complain. While you weren't the closest two people could be, Severus didn't seem to despise you the way he did most other people. You couldn't have been mated to someone much, much worse. The chance for love to grow was there. Fate had paired you together for a reason, right?

You burst into the boat house, your eyes easily finding the slumped over form of your soulmate. "Severus," you breathed out. You ran to him, once again sinking to your knees. You noticed the dried blood on his neck and the tear stains on his cheek. "Oh, Severus." He took a ragged breath as you pulled out your wand to at least try to help.

Severus's hand came up for a moment before it fell to the floor again. "Don't," came the strangled groan from his lips. "It's too late." You shook your head. Tears began pricking your eyes again. "No. I don't believe that. There has to be something." Severus lazily moved his head in a "no" motion. "The venom has already spread. There's no time."

You sniffled. "What can I do?" He let out a choked chuckle. "You have done enough." You gave him a look and he gestured to his sleeve. With as much care as possible, you rolled up the sleeve and let the tears finally fall. "Be safe, Soulmate. I expect to meet you when this is over." The words you'd written before the start of the battle were still there.

"Thank you, Y/N. Thank you for giving me what I needed all these years. Thank you for giving me hope." You smiled up at him as the light left his eyes. "Severus?" you squeaked. No response. "S-Severus, please." Still nothing. You knew nothing could change that. With a shaking hand, you reached over and closed his eyes.

He was gone. You let yourself cry, your shoulders shaking with your sobs. Your soulmate was ripped from you unfairly and there was nothing you could do. Severus Snape: Slytherin, Professor, Death Eater, Headmaster, Soulmate. Whoever he once was to the world was no more. Stories would live on, but Severus wouldn't. He had left you with nothing but your memories and one final mark. A mark on your soul that would never fade and would hurt forever.