You Are More Than Enough (Sirius Black x fem!reader)

(This is a Marauders Era story)

Sirius was confused, to say the least. He wasn’t sure what was happening with you. The two of you had been dating for several months now and you had never acted the way you were now. Normally, you were relentlessly cheerful. It drove Sirius up the wall, but it was also one of the things he adored about you. And you were typically a girl who loved being cuddled. But not lately.

Lately, you had become distant. You didn’t seem to want to be touched. The most you would accept in terms of affection were little pecks on the cheek or forehead. You didn’t want to hold his hand or let him wrap his arm around your waist. You didn’t want to lay back against him while you sat in front of the fire in the common room. You just wanted to be left alone and that worried Sirius.

You also weren’t as cheerful as normal. The smiles, when you gave them, were forced or simply didn’t have the emotion behind them. You didn’t laugh at his jokes, which was bad enough. Sirius was hilarious, at least in his own mind. It wasn’t as if the young man was offended. He was worried. After weeks of the change in attitude, Sirius finally decided to ask you what was going on.

Sirius plopped down on the sofa next to you. You moved to scoot away, but he gently grabbed your arm. “Y/N, what gives?” You brushed some nonexistent dirt off you uniform skirt. “I don’t know what you’re talking about,” you said softly. Sirius used his fingers to turn your head to face him. “You’re acting weird, love. Did I do something?” You immediately shook your head. “No. Of course not.” Sirius’ brows furrowed. “Then why are you being so strange? You don’t smile anymore. You don’t let me cuddle you anymore.” You licked your lips.

“You didn’t do anything, Sirius. I just…” you trailed off as you ran a hand down your face. Sirius waited. He tried to be patient, but the bouncing of his knee told you he was anything but. It was driving him crazy not knowing what was wrong with you. You sighed and muttered something. “What was that?”

“Why are you with me, Sirius?” you asked. Sirius glanced around, confused. “What do you mean?” You let out a groan. “I mean why, of all the girls in this school, did you choose to be with me?!” Sirius jumped a little as your voice rose. It wasn’t like you. “Because I like you? Because I think you’re an amazing girl?” You scoffed and Sirius realized he made a mistake.

“Are you telling me or asking me?!” you barked before going on, “I’ve seen how half the girls in this place look at you, Sirius. And I’ve seen the way you looked at them. I’m nothing like them. At all. Let’s face it, I don’t deserve you so I ask again, why are you with me?” Sirius couldn’t answer. You were so upset, more upset than he’d ever seen you.

Sirius knew you had insecurities. Everyone did. But he didn’t know that they had been eating away at you for so long nor did he know why it started bothering you again so suddenly. Had someone said something? Had he done something?

“See, you can’t even give me an answer. I-I think it’s best if we end this. Before I get hurt.” You moved to stand but Sirius caught your arm again. “What do you mean?” he asked again. You shook your head as tears pooled in your eyes. “I mean that, eventually, you’re going to realize that you can do better and you’ll leave me anyway. So, I’m going to save you the trouble. It’s over, Sirius. I know you’ll find someone better for you in no time.” You pulled your arm around of his grip and practically ran away, leaving Sirius gaping after you wondering what just happened.

*time skip*

Sirius was miserable. He hadn’t realized how much you’d actually meant to him until he couldn’t call you his anymore. At first, he tried to go back to his previous ways, a different girl on his arm every week, flirting with anything in a skirt. But nothing seemed to match the feeling he got when he was with you. Not even Marlene, who he had an on again, off again relationship with. He couldn’t get the sight of your heartbroken face out of his head and he still wondered what had made you act the way you did.

“See, Marlene? I told you I’d help you out,” Sirius heard one of Marlene’s friends saying one day. He was leaving the Quidditch pitch and heading toward the locker rooms. He’d found solace in flying after everything that had happened. “What do you mean?” Marlene asked. “I got that little mouse to leave him.”

“Wait! You made Y/L/N break up with Sirius?” There was a brief silence that Sirius took for the girl answering. “What did you do?!” Marlene sudden shrieked. Sirius knew he should have left, but he couldn’t. He had to know. This girl was the reason you left him? “Seriously, what did you say to her?”

“I simply told her the truth. I told her that she wasn’t good enough for him. She wasn’t pretty enough or smart enough to compete with the rest of us, especially you. I asked her why she thought Black kept coming back to you time and time again. I didn’t do anything but tell the truth.” Sirius felt his blood boiling. He knew some girls were petty, but he never expected this. He was about to burst in when Marlene spoke again.

“How could you do that?! Y/L/N never did anything to you. She’s very sweet and Sirius really liked her! I need to rethink this friendship if that is what you consider helping. I need to go find her and explain things.” Sirius was glued to the spot and Marlene was suddenly in front of him.

“Sirius?” His dark gaze traveled over to Marlene’s pack of “friends” and his eyes narrowed. “So, you’re the reason Y/N thinks she’s not good enough for me? Let me tell you something. If anything, I’m not good enough for her. She is the greatest girl in the entire world. And yeah, Marlene is amazing, but Y/N is everything I could ever want.” He paused to smile down at Marlene. “Now, I’m going to go find Y/N and if any of you ever treat her like that again, I will hex each and every one of you, consequences be damned.” With that, he stormed away, Marlene on his heels.

“Sirius, she’s probably at Hagrid’s hut. She spends a lot of time there, taking care of the creatures.” Sirius stopped walking and kissed her cheek. “Thanks, Marlene.” She smiled. “Of course. Tell Y/N I’m sorry for them and I’ll see you both around.” Sirius made his way to Hagrid’s hut as quickly s possible. Sure enough, you were there in the garden with the Gameskeeper.

“Hello, love. Hagrid, may I borrow Y/N for a moment?” Hagrid looked at you and you nodded. “I’ll just, uh, go feed some of the animals in the forest then. See ya around.” The half-giant lumbered off, leaving you and Sirius alone. Before you could ask anything, Sirius blurted out, “I love you!” You froze in place and gaped openly at him.

“I love you, Y/N. I know it’s silly, but I do. I love how you make me smile. I love how you laugh at my jokes that aren’t even that funny. I love that you are ten times smarter than I am and you never let me forget it. I love how obnoxiously cheery you are all the damn time. I love when you fall asleep leaning against me even when you say you aren’t tired. I love that you care more about the people around you than you do your own popularity. And I love that you aren’t afraid to show the world that you wear your heart on your sleeve.”

As he spoke, Sirius walked closer to you. You kept your eyes down on the ground, more interested in your shoes that anything else. Sirius shoes came into your line of sight before you finally looked up. To your surprise, you found Sirius’ eyes filling with tears. It wasn’t like the young man to show that kind of emotion

“Sir-“ you began but he cut you off. “Wait, please. I’m sorry I didn’t tell you any of this before. I should have. This is the hardest thing I’ve ever done, but for you, I don’t mind. You are more than enough, Y/N. You always will be and I’d like another chance to, I don’t know, show you that I think so.” He began rambling after that, the passion he’d begun the speech with had been spent and he wasn’t sure where to go from there. Lucky enough for him, he didn’t have to. You pressed your lips to his, silencing his rambling. Sirius wrapped his arms around you and melted into the kiss.