Winning Her Heart (Sirius Black x fem!Slytherin reader, sort of)

(Marauders' Era)

Sirius didn't understand it. His charm was failing him. His charm never failed him! Sirius Black always had girls fawning over him. But you were different. You didn't swoon over him like the others. Sirius wanted your attention. He wanted to get to know you, to get you to like him. That was easier said than done seeing as he didn't see you much outside of class. You were a Slytherin after all. It didn't seem to deter Sirius though. It only spurred him on, much to his friends' dismay.

"Why don't you just forget her, Sirius?" Remus asked. Sirius glared playfully at him. "Why don't you save that advice for Prongs over there?" James just shrugged when Remus met his gaze. Sirius let his eyes wander across the Great Hall to the Slytherin table. You were smiling at the person next to you, making Sirius frown. What did he have to do to earn that smile from you?

"Well, wish me luck," he stated. He stood and loosened his tie a little. He ran his hand through his dark locks. Ignoring the glares he received from the other Slytherins, Sirius walked over and plopped down in the empty space on your other side. "Morning, Y/L/N."

"Black," you greeted tersely. Sirius flashed you what he hoped was a dazzling smile. "It's a beautiful morning. Care to join me for a stroll?" You arched a brow before shaking your head. "No thank you. Good morning." With that, you got up and left the Great Hall, leaving Sirius there with a dozen giggling Slytherins. He felt his face heat up as he left the table. Still, he knew he wouldn't give up. It was a challenge now and he never backed down from a challenge.

Sirius kept trying. He tried for weeks. He did everything he could possibly think of to win your heart. He tried the usual flowers and chocolates (Chocolate Frogs actually) and complimenting you. He asked you out and you repeatedly turned him down. He felt like James with Lily. Yet now he understood at least a little better. Why didn't you like him? He couldn't recall having done anything to you to earn your scorn. So he decided to ask one of his cousins.

Andromeda was no longer in school, so that left Narcissa and Bellatrix. There was no way in any hell that Sirius would ask Bellatrix. Of the two, Sirius preferred Narcissa. "Narcissa," he called softly. The young woman in question turned and frowned. "What is it?" Running a hand down his face, Sirius groaned. "I need to ask you something." Narcissa didn't reply and Sirius took that as a sign to continue.

"Do you know Y/F/N?" At Narcissa's slight nod, Sirius took a deep breath. "She doesn't like me." Narcissa snorted out an unladylike chuckle. "I hadn't noticed." Sirius rolled his eyes. "Why though? I don't think I've done anything to her. I just want to get to know her. She's different." Narcissa's brows drew together. She'd never seen her cousin like this before. His usual cool and calm demeanor was cracking, just by talking about you. It didn't take long for it to click in Narcissa's mind. "You really like her, don't you?" Sirius shrugged a bit. Narcissa watched his face for a moment then sighed.

"Alright. Just this once, I'll see what I can do to help. But don't expect any more favors from me." Sirius grinned and kissed her on the cheek. "Thank you. You are officially my favorite." Narcissa laughed again. "Don't let Andromeda hear you say that. Now go on."

Sirius was surprised when later on that day, you approached him. "Narcissa said you wanted to speak with me?" you asked. Your (e/c) were riveted on his face, but your lips still wore the same frown you always did around him. "Why don't you like me?" Sirius blurted out, "I've tried for months now, but at this point I don't care if you reject me forever. I just need to know why?"

You stared at him in confusion for a moment. Then with a sigh, you sat down next to him. "I don't...dislike you, Black. I dislike your attitude when it comes to women. Sure, it's flattering to have your attention. I won't lie and say I don't find you attractive. If the reaction of almost every girl that sees you is any indication, then you already know you're handsome and could have any girl you want. But that's the problem, isn't it? How do I know you mean the things you say when, at any moment, you could decide you're bored or that I'm not worthy of such compliments anymore? I can't let myself fall for you, Black. Friends, maybe. But not more than that."

Sirius couldn't speak for a second. It was the most you'd ever said to him in one sitting and you were rejecting him. Again. Still, he had to admit you had a point. He wouldn't admitting defeat, but he knew pushing you would not only make him a horrible person but would also prove your point. He had to show you he was more than that.

"I guess I understand," he muttered, "Thank you for clearing that up. I'll leave you be now." He got up and walked off, his mind going a hundred miles an hour. "Bl-Sirius?" He glanced over his shoulder. "For what it's worth, I really don't hate you." Sirius smiled and turned back to you. "Really? Then there's a chance to make you really like me, isn't there?"

You rolled your eyes. "I wouldn't count on it," you said, but your lips were turned up slightly and there was a twinkle of mischief in your eyes. That right there told Sirius all he needed to know. He could definitely be friends with you. And he wanted to be. He would have to see where things would go after that, if anywhere. Who knew? Maybe one day he'd be able to change your mind about him and win your heart.