Red Head(The Weasleys; fem!reader*)

(*= the request was for fem!reader, but I don't use any feminine pronouns, so it could be read as gender neutral)

From the moment you met the Weasley family, you just clicked. You were Muggleborn and they were the first pure-blood wizard family that accepted you. You loved being in the kitchen with Molly. Cooking and baking were like science, which you thoroughly enjoyed. Once you learned how to fly a broom, you would spend holidays playing Quidditch with the Weasley boys and Ginny. And you would spend hours just chatting with Arthur about the world you came from. The Weasleys were your second family, but you had no idea that they would soon become your only family.

Life turned into a blur when you discovered that your parents weren't going to be around anymore. The particulars of why escaped you and you didn't care. Your owl nipped sorrowfully at your elbow, making you scold it gently. What were you going to do? Where would you go? You-Know-Who was back. It wasn't safe for you to be alone while you were still underage and not allowed to use magic outside of school.

A knock on Ginny's door made you hum. As soon as you found out about your parents, you came to your safe haven of The Burrow to talk to Molly and get some form of comfort. The door opened to reveal Ginny. "Mum and Dad want to talk to you." Without saying a word, you nodded and trudged out of the room to find Molly and Arthur.

All the Weasley boys, who were home visiting, had scattered to the wind, leaving only you and the Weasley parents. "Come and sit down, dear. You can help me with this while we talk," Molly offered. You gave her a soft smile. She was at least trying to keep some sense of normality for you.

As soon as you were seated, Arthur cleared his throat. "Now, Y/N, Molly and I have discussed things. We...we do not feel comfortable with you being out there alone or in an Muggle orphanage. We've decided that, if you'd like, you should stay here with us." You felt a smile start to tug at your lip, but it fell almost as quickly as it came.

"I don't want to put you out," you mumbled, but Molly heard you anyway. You felt her arms pull you up into a hug. "Nonsense! You're family, Y/N. Just like our boys and Ginny. Just like Harry and Hermione. As far as we're concerned, you are already a Weasley. You belong here and could never put us out." You smiled for real this time.

*time skip*

You glanced in the mirror with a small sigh. You'd been with the Weasleys for months now and you were preparing to start your next year at Hogwarts. You loved living in The Burrow, but something was still off. No matter how welcoming the Weasleys were, you didn't feel like you fit in with them. You stood out in multiple ways that you couldn't do anything about, but there was one thing you could do.

Standing in front of the mirror, you got to work. Most of the Weasleys were out for the day, so you wouldn't be bothered. Since you were still under the age of seventeen, you had to do this the Muggle way and that was going to take a while. You took a deep breath. "Now or never," you thought to yourself as you brought the brush up to your hair.

You heard the commotion of the Weasleys coming home just as you were drying your hair. On shaking legs, you left the bathroom to meet up with your family. Ginny saw you first and opened her mouth to say hello when she noticed. She froze in place, causing Ron to run into her back. Ron began to scold her until he caught sight of you too.

You felt your cheeks practically catch fire as one by one, the Weasleys noticed the change. You looked away to the clock where your own face had been added. "It looks horrible, doesn't it?"

"Of course not, dear! It was just such a surprise." A mirror appeared in front of you. You glanced and realized they were right. The bright red color was definitely different for you, but it was the only thing you could do to feel more like a Weasley. To fit in. That's what you told Molly when she asked why you had decided to make such a change to yourself.

You heard a sniffle, causing you to finally look back at the family in front of you. It was Molly. "Oh, Y/N. I told you before, you are a Weasley. You look wonderful, but I wish you hadn't felt the need to change yourself to be like us. You are wonderful just the way you are. We love you for you."

You hugged her. "Thanks, Mum...I mean-" you cut off as your face heated up again. Molly chuckled softly and she held you close. "Y/N, you are just as much my child as the rest of the them. I would be honored if you wanted to call me 'Mum'." You suddenly found yourself in a giant group hug with the rest of the Weasley family. Your family.