Using You (Remus Lupin x fem!Evans reader) Marauders Era

You were your twin's opposite in almost every way. You were much more quiet than Lily was. You didn't get involved with a lot of people and you didn't have many friends. Your studies occupied most of your time. You kept mostly to yourself so when Severus started showing interest in you, you were pleasantly surprised.

You didn't notice that wherever Severus took you, Lily was also there. You didn't realize that he asked so many questions about your family, especially Lily. You didn't notice that he didn't actually seem all that interested in what you had to say except for when it came to Lily. He was very good at pretending.

You spent months with Severus, going on dates and spending time together. But it all came crashing down around you one night at party Professor Slughorn invited you to. You, of course, brought Severus with you and for once you were having a good time. It wasn't until Remus, who had been invited by Lily, came up to you and asked where Lily was that you noticed something was off. Severus was missing too.

You went in search of your sister and date. And when you found them, you felt like the rug had been swept out from under you. Severus was standing next to Lily and they looked to be in a heated argument. You hadn't really meant to eavesdrop, but in your defense, they were being a little louder than necessary.

"Shouldn't you be with my sister?" you heard Lily ask sharply. Your brows furrowed. You remembered a time when Lily and Severus were friends and you weren't sure why that had changed. "I don't want to be with her, Lily. You know that. I-I just want to be your friend again." You bit your lip to stop yourself from announcing your presence. You wanted to hear where this was going to go.

"So you use my sister to get close to me? Is that it?" Severus didn't answer for a moment. Every second he was silent made your heart beat faster in your chest. Finally, he replied, "I didn't see any other way." Tears instantly began clouding your vision. Severus didn't want to be with you. He wasn't interested in you at all. He had been using you the whole time?

You heard their footsteps coming toward you and you did the only thing you could think of. You turned tail and ran. Cursing your tears that made everything blurry, you raced as fast as you could down the corridors and up to the staircase. You didn't even pay attention to where you were going until you realized you were hopelessly lost. The staircases had changed while you were blindly running.

You sank down to the floor, pulled your knees up to your chest, and cried. You cried so long and so hard, you never heard Remus approaching. It wasn't until he spoke that you realized he was there. "Thank you, Sir Nicholas," he told the ghost. "Always happy to be of service to young Gryffindors like yourself, Mr. Lupin. Good evening." Nick floated away, leaving you alone in the corridor with Remus. He came over and sat by you, not caring that his trousers would wrinkle.

"Are you alright?" You shook your head as fresh tears began forming. Remus reached over and brushed away a stray tear. "Hey...whatever it is, it's going to be alright." You sobbed loudly, grabbing the front of his jumper and pulling yourself closer to him. Through your tears, you relayed what you'd heard.

Remus was silent for a bit. You glanced up and saw something you rarely ever saw on your best friend's face. Rage. "That-That-That git!" You jumped a little before laughing. "Git? That's the best you can come up with?" you asked with a sniffle. Remus blushed and shrugged. "Got you to laugh, didn't it?" With another soft laugh, you playfully pushed him.

After a few more minutes of sitting quietly, you let go of Remus so he could stand and brush off his trousers. He reached out and offered you his hand which you took. He didn't let go as you walked back toward the staircase. Remus looked down at his watch. "We still have a few minutes before curfew. Would you like to come to the kitchens with me? James showed me how to get in."

You shook your head. "No thank you, Remus. I should head to bed. I have a lot to deal with tomorrow, starting with breaking up with that no-good arse." Remus gave you a small smile and nodded. "Can you find your way now?" At your confirmation, Remus gave you hug and pulled away. Before he left, he dropped a kiss to your forehead.

"You can do much better than Snape, Y/N." You looked up to meet his gaze. Had his eyes always been that bright? And had his lips always looked so inviting? You wanted to slap yourself. You just had your heart broken. You couldn't have bounced back that quickly. No, you were feeling vulnerable and were simply grateful for Remus' help. There was no way, none at all, that you were developing feelings for your best friend. Right?