// 9

- dance

Hwang Eunji POV

It's nearing the end of the year, and of course we have to have a dance at the end of the year.

For Juniors and Seniors.

When I was a sophomore, I always heard how great the dance was. It sounded like so much fun, but a person like me would literally fucking die.

Miyeong groans when I tell her this.

It's a week before our so called 'prom' and she wants me to go so bad.

Jeongin already asked her.

Heeseung has not asked me.

"Don't worry, Eunji-ah. He'll ask you." She side eyes me. "And when she does, you cannot say no. Because that is a crime."

I pet Nana nervously. "But like, I hate dances! I hate crowds in general!"

"Then you can stay in the back with Heeseung!"

"Yeah but-" I start, then frown. "Wait, that is a very good point."

Mi grins and nods. "See, told ya!"

HeeJi was officially hitting 'Best Couple of the Year' award. No way it wouldn't- HeeJi shippers were everywhere.

Someone on Instagram even started a fan account, and named the shippers HEEJINICS (Hee-Jen-Ics, like Hygene) because we're the most wholesome and clean couple at our school. A little stalker-ish if you ask anyone.

But I don't even mind anymore.

The next day, I walked to school with Stray Kids. I'd become good friends with Hyunjin and Heeseung's friend group already, and it made me feel good.

I felt like I was becoming more confident, one by one.

I walk through the gates and look around for my boyfriend, only for my attempt to fail.

Minho nudges my shoulder. "He's there." And points to the lovely tree in the center of our school yard. I smile, wave to the boys and head over to him.

"Hi, Heeseung-gie!" I say, and he looks up from his phone. He grins at me, and we share a quick embrace and kiss.

"Sorry I couldn't walk with you to school today, love. I was kinda busy... getting some stuff." He says with a smile.

"Ah, no problem. I walked with Stray Kids." I say, still holding onto his waist.

"Eunji-ah, can I ask you a question?" He asks, and I nod. Heejinics are everywhere, filming for no reason.

"What's up?" I ask, letting go of his waist.

"Well.. you don't have to say yes, but I'd love to do so... ugh, fuck it. Will you come to the dance with me?" He asks sheepishly, and I have to giggle. His smile fades. "What?"

My heart explodes as I tackle him against the bark of the tree. "Are you fucking stupid? Of course I'll go with you!"

Simps and fans scream and burst into applause. I see ENHYPEN and Stray Kids fawning together.

As the days to the dance near, I start to grow more fidgety.

And with my popularity sky-rocketing at this point, it makes me not want to go even more.

"You have to go!" JeongMi exclaim to me when I complain about it.

"I know!" I say, watching as Nana attacks Jeongin from behind. He yelps, falling forward. "It's just- I'm mildly nervous of all the people watching me and Heeseung slow dance. Does that make sense?"

"Well, then slow dance outside of the crowd." Felix offers.

Minho nods. "Or hang out in the hallway."

I shrug.

"Don't just shrug it, Ji. Seriously." Jisung tells me. He's been calling me 'Ji' without my consent, only because when he found out, he exploded. He goes by the nickname 'Ji' as well.

"Yeah, Jisung's right." Changbin says.

"For once." Seungmin mutters under his breath. I sustain a giggle and Jisung frowns at me.

Changbin continues without missing a beat. "This isn't something you can shrug off. This dance is important."

Hyunjin frowns. "It's like you've been to this dance."

"Yeah, I was a DJ!"

I nod slowly. "Okay. So you're telling me that I just can't ditch Heeseung because he'll be heartbroken and it'll ruin my life?"

Stray Kids nod.

"Thank you!" Miyeong says, falling backwards onto my bed with a groan. Nana jumps up to where we are and curls up onto my lap.

I bite my lip nervously. "But..."

"No buts, Ji." Chan says, and I nod. "Heeseung loves you a lot, and I know you love him, right? So if you ditch him, he will be heartbroken."

"I know your anxiety," Jeongin says, and proposes a solution: "Why don't you just... do everything on the side?"

"That's a good idea." I say, and everyone in the room groans.

"That's what we've been fucking saying!" Miyeong kicks her feet up and I laugh.

"Sorry." I say sheepishly. "When Jeongin-ah says it, it's more of a satisfying thing. It all sits into place. You guys try and force it into my brain, y'know?"

Jeongin grins and says thanks.

Hyunjin rolls his eyes.

Minho, who's been silent this whole conversation, sits next to me on the bed. "Your anxiety is under a lot more control, Eunnie."

He was the first person to ever call me Eunnie. So it became a "Minhoe thing," as Hyunjin calls it.

I nod as Miyeong spikes an argument with Seungmin. The two start bickering, the rest of the group watching and laughing.

"Yeah."

"Why do you think that is?" Minho asks, and I lay on his shoulder, watching Miyeong bite Seungmin's shoulder.

"Heeseung." I say, and Minho nods. "He told me when we first met that he was gonna make it his mission to overcome my anxiety." I say, remembering the words as if he said them yesterday.

Minho smiles, and hugs me tight. "And it's working! You've come such a far way, and I'm so proud of you."

I can't help but grin, making direct eye contact with my twin. "Hyunjin, did you hear that?  Minho-oppa's being a better brother than you."

Hyunjin glares playfully at Minho. "Get over here, Minhoe!"

Minho scoffs as I sit up. "Don't talk to your hyung like that!"

        ___________