// 23

- he doesn't remember me.

Hwang Eunji POV

My entire heart drops.

He doesn't remember me.

My body goes cold. I feel tears springing to my eyes.

"Excuse me? Miss?"

I look down at Heeseung, who's staring at me confused.

"I- I'm sorry." I say, and bow. I leave the room without another word before wiping my tears and breaking down again.

Hoshi grips my arms. "Eunji?"

"He- he doesn't fucking remember me." I cry, and Hoshi just wraps his arms around me. "He doesn't remember me." I repeat, the statement rolling off my tongue with ease.

Hyunjin looks back into the room, then walks in. I hear muffled voices talking.

"Who was that girl?"

"Seriously?"

"Yeah. I don't know who she is."

"Lee Heeseung, are you fucking with me right now?"

"No. Like actually. Who was that?"

Hyunjin's quiet for a second. "Um. One second."

He walks out with a straight face. "Go talk to him." He says before sitting down on a bench and covering his face in annoyance.

I walk back in, tears still spilling down my face.

God, Eunji. Can you just stop crying for once?

Heeseung smiles. "Hi, Miss."

That title shatters my heart.

"Hi, Heeseung." I say, my voice nearly breaking as I sit next to him. "So, uh, do you really not remember who I am?"

He shakes his head. "I'm sorry, no."

I bury my head into my hands. "Fuck."

Heeseung moves his hand to my back. I shiver at the sudden touch. 

What the fuck?

When was the last time I flinched at my boyfriend's touch?

"You could tell me who you are. Maybe I'll remember?" He asks, and I look at him.

I've lost all hope at this point.

"My name is Hwang Eunji. I'm Hyunjin's twin sister." I look down at my hands. "Um, I'm your girlfriend."

I can tell Heeseung's eyes widen. "W- really?! I- I'm so sorry."

Inhaling, I shake my head. "N-no. It's fine."

Heeseung shakes his head. "No, it's not." I look up at him, and he takes my hand. "I'm so sorry I don't- remember you." He cocks his head slightly. "We could date and maybe I will remember?"

My heart lifts up, then drops again. "But it'll be so hard to know you don't love me. Knowing that every time we go out, you feel nothing."

He squeezes my hand, a serious look on his face. "I know I love you, Eunji. Even if I don't remember you, I can feel something inside of me. It's like, wanting to break out of my chest. I somehow know deep down that I know you, even if I don't remember you."

My heart springs back to life again. "Really?" I stutter, and he nods.

"When I'm allowed out of this bed, we'll spend more time together. Then I'll remember you." He squeezes my hand again, and a shock of electricity shoots through my body. "I promise." He then smiles at me. "Do you promise to keep holding onto me?"

I nod. "I promise, Lee Heeseung."

"I promise, Hwang Eunji."

Heeseung is let out of the hospital three days later.

"Heeseung!" Miyeong hollers, tackling him when we walk into the Hwang estate.

He laughs and takes back the hug. "Hey, Miyeong-ah!"

It nearly breaks my heart to see that he remembers her too.

Jeongin slinks towards me as the two catch up. "Eunji, you don't look too happy. You okay?" He asks, resting his elbow on my shoulder.

I sigh. "He doesn't remember me."

Jeongin's eyes widen. "What? Wait. No, you're joking." He smiles, but it quickly falls once he sees I'm not.

"I wish." I throw a forced smile at him.

"I'm so sorry, that fucking sucks." He wraps his arms around me, then smiles sadly. He turns to Heeseung so they can talk for a little bit.

Miyeong saunters over to me with a frustrated look. "Heeseung doesn't remember you?" He asks, and I nod. She slams her bare foot onto the marble floor. "You're fucking with me!"

"Nah." I stare at my feet as Miyeong's jaw drops.

"No!" She gasps. She crosses her arms and I look back up at her. "So... he remembers everyone else except you?"

I nod again. "Yeah." I say, but it comes out hoarse.

"Then, it's going to be our duty to make sure he remembers you." She turns to SEVENTEEN. "Right guys?"

I place my hand on her forearm. "Mi, not so loud!"

She rolls her eyes. "In the Hwang estate, whatever you say comes out as 'so loud.' I'm just making sure that all 13 people get the memo."

I can't help but laugh. "Thanks, Mi." I say softly, and she hugs me.

"No problem, Jinnie. I'm so sorry this is happening." She whispers into my ear, bending down to meet my height.

I chuckle. "And it's all happening to me. I'm... I'm literally just no one. You know? I lived in the shadows." I mumble into her shoulder.

"You don't deserve this." Miyeong pulls away, her hands on my shoulders. Her face is serious. "I'll make sure things go back to how they used to be. Promise."

Sighing, I smile. "Thank you again, Miyeong."

She hugs me again before walking off. "Anything for my best friend."

I walk away as she joins her boyfriend and Heeseung, and just disappears into my room.

I can't believe this all happened because we dated.

Lee Heeseung POV

It's great to see everyone again.

But that one girl. Eunji.

Why can't I remember her?

"Heeseung." Felix says, patting my shoulder. I turn my head to look at the shorter boy.

"Yeah?" I ask, shoving my hands into my pockets.

"You good, bro?" He asks, punching my arm lightly. 

I nod. "Yup."

Felix frowns. "Are you sure? Because you look upset."

Miyeong scoffs as she walks to the kitchen. "Maybe it's because he can't remember his girlfriend."

"Stop it, Mi!" I say, crossing my arms.

"Well, it's true." Jeongin sighs. "Why?"

"You think I have a choice?" I counter, walking over to the family room. "Do you think I chose to forget her?" I look at the ground. "Something tells me I know her. Like, actually."

Hyunjin looks at me. "Eunji loves you with everything she has, Heeseung. She needs you."

I nod firmly. "I know."

        ____________