Prologue

"Gryffindors!" Porsche called, stowing away his wand in his cloak as a bunch of tiny, doe-eyed children rushed forward, separating from the crowd. They were newly sorted, so their ties were neutral black, but he could see from their faces that most of them expected Gryffindor. House sorting was, for the most part, a legacy event. Even more so than an individual's innate strengths.

Yes, there were times when family members weren't sorted into the same house. But that was extremely rare. Like in the case of Porsche and Chay. He'd always know his brother was the brain of the family. He hadn't really been surprised to hear the Hat yell Ravenclaw. A little disappointed, but still, there were much greater things to be than to be forced into Gryffindor just because his older brother wasn't as smart as he was.

"Shouldn't you be headed up with your fellow housemates?" Porsche asked as Chay stood, kicking the wall beside him, his blue tie, pristinely tucked against the collar of his shirt.

"I'm waiting for someone."

"No," Porsche said, shaking his head. "We're not doing this. Up you go."

"Phi!" Chay whined, refusing to move.

"Are you bullying my housemate, Porsche?" Tem asked loudly from where he was surrounded by a throng of tiny, new students.

"Take him and go," Porsche gently moved his brother in Tem's direction.

"Chay," Tem said, sternly.

"Phi-Tem just give me a second. I'll be-"

Kim Theerapanyakul came stumbling out of the great hall with his fellow fourth-years, laughing as they got caught up with each other. As soon as he spotted Chay, his laugh morphed into a smile as he slowed behind his mates.

"Gryffindors," Porsche snapped. "This way."

"I thought you were only supposed to herd first-years," Kim said, frowning at Porsche.

"Did you hear me?"

"Leave them alone," Tem said, signaling someone else to take over from him as he moved closer to Porsche. "You've got five minutes, Chay. Go."

Bowing slightly, Chay giggled as he dragged Kim away.

"What are you doing?"

"The more you hold on, the more you're pushing him away."

"Kim is bad news."

"Yeah," Tem scoffed. "Because Chay is the first Kitisawasd brother to fall in love with a Theerapanyakul at that age, huh?"

Porsche tilted his head at Tem.

"That's not fair."

"Remember how it felt every time Phi-Tankhun tried to keep you guys apart."

"Phi loves me."

"Now. Imagine if he never gave you a chance."

Porsche shook his head, turning from Tem, because Tem couldn't understand. It was scary enough to be involved with Kinn. Porsche could handle it. He knew how to avoid whatever Kinn had going on at home. He didn't know if he could say the same about Chay. He looked over to the two of them, where they were talking to each other quietly as other students rushed by to get to their dorms. They reminded Porsche of him and Kinn when they were much younger. Which was even scarier because of what Kim had going on, personally. It wasn't just about Kim's family or what Kim might be like in a relationship.

But Kim had confided in Chay and Chay had confided in Porsche and Porsche wasn't sure how he felt about his baby brother handling something so heavy.

Tem patted him on the back.

"Don't fight him on this. Chay tells you everything. Can you imagine what might happen if he gets so worried about you that he stops telling you things?"

That was probably the most horrible thing Porsche had ever heard. The idea of something happening to Chay and Porsche not knowing...

"Take it easy."

With that Tem resumed his duties, corralling his first-years as he headed for his common room, leaving Porsche to ponder. Because what was love, if not trouble? What was love if not fear of the possibility of being hurt? Tem was right. Porsche would rather hear about the trouble. Maybe he ought to give them a chance. If not for anything, but for the look of utter joy on Chay's face, as he spoke to Kim Theerapanyakul.