Chapter 8

NATASHA POV

-----

The war between Steve these past few days and I have been the worst days of my life. He always gives me the cold shoulder and always leaves the house at night and comes back only at noon. The war resumes all day. I lean my head against the wall next to the door. The doorbell suddenly rings, and I open it to see my favourite people worldwide. James, Sarah, and a bloody, battered, thin as a stick Steve. I gasp, but suspicion immediately enters me. The person in front of me could be Steve, and then that meant that the Steve that was in the house was not Steve, telling that the fighting wasn't actual. On the other hand, this Steve looked light and weak. Even if he is tortured, he has lots of muscle, and this Steve had none. 

"You think it isn't me, huh?" As Steve pinched the bridge of my nose, I knew it was him. His familiar touch warmed me right up. I wrapped him up in a tight hug, but Steve winced in my touch. My eyes widened as I struggled to apologize, but Steve covered it for me.

"It's all right, dear. We need to get Bruce out of there, don't worry about me," Steve's voice started to slur, and within a few seconds, he passed out into my arms, and terror filled my features. James and Sarah helped me carry him, but he was very light. I'll get Bruce for this. We go inside, and I rip off Bruce's cyber mask and slap him as hard as possible.

 Bruce growled at me, and I told Sarah and James to carry him upstairs. Bruce gripped my wrist, and I tried to fight back, but I was rusty. I had resigned from SHIELD to take care of the kids, but Steve stayed at SHIELD. I worked one shift at the grocery store in the morning after I sent the kids to school but then quit after the kids turned ten, worked as a stay at home mom after Steve had to work longer hours, and then got a job at the library. My fighting skills were not as good, but I still managed to pin down Bruce and call a red alert. Wanda, Tony and Clint arrive immediately. We fought Bruce and drove him outside. Wanda started to collect a ball of red magic and threw it at Bruce as his dirty eyes turned Hulk green. Wanda's eyes widened as he broke free of the charm, and some of his veins turned red. Bruce's punch was halfway to our face, but an intense blast from the Quinjet that just landed. Fury waved at me, and Nissa took Bruce into the Quinjet. He made his gesture for when we needed to talk privately. He took me to the side of the Quinjet.

"Now, Romanoff. We need you back. Your kids will be safe from dangers, and you can make them lunch for school, breakfast and dinner when you return. You'll manage to spend time with each other, and I'll make sure that there is always one parent present at home. Will you return? You don't need to worry, and I'll give you a raise," I missed my days at SHIELD, so I nodded. Fury smiled, and I rushed home. I changed out of my dirty clothes and went upstairs, and I saw Steve just stirring. Steve had lots of bandages on his body and looked so weak. I stroked his hair, and he smiled at me. 

"Sweetie, how long has it been since you ate or drank anything?" I tenderly planted a kiss on his head.

"Probably three or four days...It took me a while to escape my cell," he moaned in pain, and I immediately rushed downstairs. I got him a cup of water and made a quick sandwich in about one minute. I took it upstairs and propped Steve up. I kissed his cheek and left him to eat his sandwich in peace. After he finished his sandwich, I told him to go to sleep, but he gripped my hand before I could go away.  

"Nat, stay here with me," his dorky smile convinced me. So I cuddled in the sheets with him, and he planted a MILLION worthy kiss on my face. It had been a few days with angry, fake Steve. Now I had the Steve I had taken for granted before Bruce came into my children's lives. Steve was my god, my king, and I was his queen. Questions about our love are nonexistent. We are people that will stay together forever. The love I feel for this king is not measurable.

------

I had a mission the week after the fight. It was still a summer holiday. I said goodbye to my kids, then Steve and set off. It was to protect a valuable staff located in The Getty museum. The thief was going to come at night after the museum closed. I set to the airport and boarded the plane, arriving at the museum in the evening. 

The museum closed a few minutes after I got inside. I made my way over to the staff and saw the thief; they were dressed in a black catsuit, and the thief took the golden staff; as I sneaked up to her, I could tell from the catsuit. She sensed my sneak attack, and even though it was dark, I could see the red room symbol on her catsuit. Unfortunately, we duelled, and even my scissor kick didn't work; I was no match for her. She didn't knock me out, though, and I managed to get the staff back before she could jump at me. I went with my last resort.

"Hey, I know you want money; here you go," I gave her the briefcase full of money that Fury gave me to spend on the flight, but I didn't use it. Instead, I saw a glint of teal,  and I swore I saw a blond streak of hair. I hope it's not Yelena, but Yelena has brown eyes. 

"Alright, Natalia," The voice was familiar, but I couldn't remember it because of the thick Russian accent masking the authentic voice. I nod at her, and the faintest shade of red appears in her eyes but quickly disappears. She soon disappears, and I return to the airport in a taxi. When I get home, everyone is asleep. I get ready for bed and cash in a check with Fury. I fall asleep with Steve beside me, but the agent tugs on my brain the whole night. 

--------