Chapter 2

Brenden

"Now I know you don't want to have the ball this year, but we have to. It's tradition," my mother told me.

I fought the temptation to roll my eyes, knowing that would be the end of me. I may be King, but my mother is a force to be reckoned with and I knew better than to upset her.

"I'm the King. I can cancel it if I want to," I grumbled.

"Well you won't."

It was my father who spoke that time. And I didn't fight the eye roll. Dad just chuckled and patted me on the shoulder.

"What's the point of going to the stupid ball by myself?"

I would be the only one there without a mate. The only one not happily dancing the night away as cheesy as I sound. It was the worst night of the year and I'd been trying to get rid of it ever since I took over as King.

I'm 26 and should've found my mate by now, but I haven't. I've visited every pack under my rule and still, nothing. It was infuriating me and I couldn't stand it much longer.

I stormed out of the room before my mood turned into pure rage. I didn't need my wolf taking over. That would only make things worse.

"You ok?" My Beta, Max, asked me. He knew the answer and my silence only confirmed it.

Max followed me to my office and poured me a glass of whiskey once we were inside. I drank it in a few long gulps. Alcohol did nothing to werewolves, but at times like this the burn it gave brought me back a little.

"I'm so fucking sick of this," I groaned, my head falling into my hands.

"I know. But you'll find her."

"How do you know?" I snapped.

"I just do."

I sat there a while longer before lifting my head and getting up. I paced back and forth in my office trying to work up a plan. I was going to find my mate, I just needed to figure out how.

"I have to find her."

"It's too bad only mated couples come to the ball," Max sighed.

"You're a fucking genius Max!"

My Beta gave me a confused look, but I was already out of my office and sprinting back to my parents' house.

He just came up with a plan and he didn't even know it. I couldn't help but chuckle at my best friend.

"We'll have the ball." Mom cheered, "under one condition."

My parents gave me a confused look and I continued.

"Every single werewolf must come, mated or not."

My parents smiled and adjusted the invitations that would be going out soon.

This is it. I'm going to find my mate.