Chapter 21

Emory

I haven't seen Luca since that first day. I was still tied to the table and he was still in the cell. My baby. If he was hurt I'd kill everyone. I'd rip everyone here to shreds.

The doorknob turned and my heartbeat sped up as fear soaked into my chest. Was Dustin back for more? Or worse, was Tony?

He and Dustin had come frequently over the past however long I've been here. They took on their same roles from before, but as usual, Tony's torture was worse. Even more so now that I have a mate. It hurt my soul knowing someone other than Brenden had their hands on me and I felt filthy. Disgusting. Tarnished.

I shivered as the door pushed open and a figure stepped in. It wasn't Dustin or Tony though. It was a younger male that I didn't know.

"Who are you?" I asked.

"Blue," the male said. "I came to get you out of here."

A whimper escaped my mouth. Was he really here?

"Luca," I whispered, suddenly fearing the worst.

"My friend is getting him."

I sagged in relief as Blue released me from the rope. He gave me his jacket to cover my naked body with and led me out. We walked quietly down the hall, no guards in sight.

I heard footsteps and tensed, but Blue merely kept walking towards the sound.

"Blue," I whispered, but he put a finger over his lips to shush me.

The footsteps got closer and my heart beat faster. But then two figures appeared before us. And one of them was my son.

"Mommy!" He exclaimed and ran into my arms.

I hugged him back, but was quick to shush him.

"We have to be very quiet baby," I whispered to him and he nodded.

Carrying Luca in my arms, we continued down the hallway. I felt like my heart was going to burst out of my chest with each step we took, but I kept going. This was my only chance of getting back to Brenden or at least getting Luca out of here.

We kept walking, but froze when we heard footsteps. I looked to Blue and his facial expression showed that this clearly wasn't part of the plan.

We turned and started to walk the other way, but a voice from my nightmares stopped us.

"Not so fast," Tony said as he stepped into the light.

My eyes widened and I put Luca down in front of Blue. I gave him a look and he seemed to understand what I was saying. Keep my son safe.

"Move Tony," I said in as strong a voice as I could muster.

"Now why would I do that Sweetling?" I shivered in disgust at the nickname.

"Let. Us. Go."

"No."

Tony rushed towards me and his fist flew into my face, knocking me on my ass. I was weak, especially after Dustin's lessons.

Tony's foot made contact with my ribs twice more before he backed away and pulled something shiny out of his pocket. He charged towards me with the knife and I squeezed my eyes shut.

"Noooooo," I heard Luca scream and my heart clenched as I readied myself for the end.

But it never came. Instead, a small whimper did. I opened my eyes which widened in horror as Luca's little body slumped against  mine.

No, no, no. This couldn't be happening. He jumped in front of me. He took the knife. No, no, no.

"M-ommy," he choked out.

"Shh, sweet boy," I cooed as tears rolled down my cheeks. "Save your strength."

I cradled my baby in my arms as the life left his eyes and he took one final breath.

"No!" I screamed.

A fury ignited inside me. Stronger than I'd ever felt before.

Despite being weak and despite the wolfsbane, I lunged at Tony. The adrenaline gave me the strength I needed to force my canines out and rip his throat out.

And just like that he was dead. Ten minutes and two bodies. One I hated and one I loved. One that deserved what he got and one that deserved so much better.

I collapsed over Luca's body, sobs wracking through my own.

"Please no," I begged.

He couldn't be dead. He was too young, too sweet. My baby. Please no.

"We have to go."

Blue laid a hand on my shoulder and I loosed a growl. No one would come near my pup.

"We need to get you home," his female companion said, crouching down next to me. "Both of you."

She helped me stand and Blue lifted me in his arms as she lifted my son into her own. I couldn't help but look back to his lifeless body and think back to our short time together.

Out of everything Dustin and Tony had done to me, this was the one that truly broke me.

I barely registered Blue running out of the building or through the woods. I barely registered the wind in my hair or the setting sun on my face. None of it mattered anyways. Not if Luca wasn't here with me.

Howls sounded behind us and Blue cursed before picking up his speed. He ran faster than lightning and the world went by in a blur, but I felt as if I were moving in slow motion.

All I saw was his last breath over and over. My Luca. He saved me.

More howls sounded, but this time from in front of me. Blue slowed and the world came back to me. I was set down, but my eyes were out of focus until they met a pair of bright blue ones.

My knees gave out, but his familiar arms caught me before i hit the ground.

"He's dead," I sobbed into my mate's chest.

"What?" Brenden asked, confused.

"Luca," I sobbed.

Brenden's head lifted from my shoulder and his body tensed against mine.

I sunk through his arms down to the ground and he soon met me down there, pulling me into his arms once again.

"It's all my fault," I cried.

Brenden pulled back and gently lifted my chin so I was looking into his eyes. His tear filled eyes stared straight into mine.

"No it's not," he said.

I shook my head.

"He jumped in front of me," I cried. "It was supposed to be me."

The tears Brenden had been holding back slid down his face and he pulled me back into his chest.

"Shh," he cooed. "It's not your fault. I promise. Shhh."

He was wrong. Luca should be here and it's because of me that he isn't. He was mine to protect and I failed him.

A warm hand rested on my shoulder and I looked up into the eyes of my old Luna. It was then that I realized all fighting around us had stopped.

"Dustin is dead," she said with zero remorse.

Brenden's head shot up at that.

"I know you wanted him Your Majesty, but I had to."

Brenden nodded vaguely before turning back to me. He lifted me in his arms and put me in a nearby car.

"You are now in charge of this pack," he told Luna. "And you always have a place in my Kingdom. Thank you for saving my mate."

With that, he slid in next to me and held me close.

"Drive," he said coldly.

And with that, we cried in each other's arms the whole way home, grieving the loss of our son.