Chapter 15

Emory

The little boy was still sleeping. He slept all through the day yesterday and all through the night. Brenden and I never left his side. We didn't want the little guy to be alone.

"When do you think he's going to wake up?" I mumbled.

"Hopefully soon."

I was sitting in Brenden's lap on one of the chairs we'd brought in yesterday and he was holding me close. Neither of us said it, but we were worried about the pup lying in front of us. We were exhausted, but sleep just wouldn't come until the pup woke up.

"Em, look."

Brenden squeezed my hip and I looked over to the bed. The little boy's eyes fluttered open and immediately filled with tears as he looked around.

"Hi buddy," I said and approached the bed. "Do you remember me?"

He nodded, but still looked like he was about to burst into tears.

"I'm Emory and this is Brenden," I said pointing to my mate. "What's your name?"

"L-Luca," he whispered.

"Where's your mommy Luca?" Brenden asked and knelt down beside me next to the bed.

"In Heaven," Luca whispered.

My heart clenched painfully at his words.

"How did you get here sweetie?" I asked him.

"T-the man sent me."

"Who?"

"A-alpha D-Dustin."

I shot a look to Brenden, we were both shocked. He sent a child here? For what?

Luca pulled a piece of paper out of his pocket and handed it to me.

"He said to g-give this to the Queen o-or he'd hurt me again."

Luca's lips were trembling and tears starting leaking out of his eyes. I brushed them away and stroked his hair.

"It's ok," I told him. "We won't let him hurt you."

Luca calmed down and eventually fell back to sleep.

"Annalise is going to come look over him," Brenden said and I nodded.

We needed to look at this letter in private and there is no one I'd trust more than Annalise to keep Luca safe.

There was a soft knock at the door and Annalise poked her head in.

"This is him?" She asked.

"Yeah."

"He's cute."

"Yeah."

We left Annalise with Luca and went down the hall to our bedroom. I didn't want to go all the way to Brenden's office in case Luca needed us and he agreed.

We sat on the bed and Brenden placed a hand on my knee in reassurance as I opened the letter.

Your Majesty,
I hear congratulations are in order. You have gained a kingdom, but you have lost my trust. I gave you direct orders and you disobeyed them so now you will pay the price.

Turn yourself in to me or everyone you love will die, starting with that mate of yours. Don't underestimate my powers dearest, I'm stronger than you could ever know.
-Alpha Dustin Banks

Tears welled in my eyes upon reading the letter. I couldn't let him hurt Brenden. Or Annalise. Or Lauren. Or Max. Or Marianne. Or August. Or...Luca.

"It will be ok," Brenden told me.

I nodded. "I have to go back."

Brenden growled and his eyes darkened.

"You will do no such thing."

"He'll hurt you!" I cried.

"I can take care of myself Emory. We all can and no one here is letting you leave. Annalise would kill me."

Brenden knelt down in front of me and cupped my cheeks in his hands.

"I'm scared," I admitted.

"I know," Brenden said, "but I won't let anything happen to any of us."

I nodded and hugged my mate. There wasn't anything I could do right now other than trust him.

Brenden climbed into bed and I cuddled into him.

"What do we do about Luca?" I asked. "We obviously can't let him go back."

"Never," Brenden agreed.

No one said anything for a few minutes and I assumed Brenden was thinking it over.

"He could...stay with us," my mate suggested.

I was shocked. I wanted Luca to stay with me, but I couldn't throw that upon Brenden. We'd only known each other for a month!

But he did offer.

"Are you sure you're ready for that?" I asked.

"I'm ready for everything with you," Brenden said, cupping my cheeks.

"Even a child?"

"Even a child," he said with a smile. "We'll be a family and I promise to protect you and Luca with my life."

I threw my arms around my mate's neck and thanked him over and over. He chuckled into my neck and hugged me back.

"Should we got tell him?" He asked and I froze.

"What if he doesn't want to stay with us?"

"I think he will," Brenden whispered.

We got up and went back to the spare room we left Luca in. He was sitting on the floor coloring with Annalise. She was telling a story and he was laughing along. I smiled up at Brenden and he down at me.

We walked up to the pair and Luca lifted his arms to me. I scooped him up and sat down on the bed next to Brenden as Annalise slipped out.

"Luca, we have something to ask you," Brenden began.

He looked at us expectantly and I decided to be the one to ask him.

"Do you want to stay here and live with us?" I asked.

Luca's eyes widened.

"I get a mommy and daddy again?" he asked.

Tears filled my eyes as I nodded my head.

"Yes sweet boy. Yes you do."

He threw his arms around my neck and I held him close. Brenden wrapped both of us in his arms. His family.

I'm going to give Luca the best childhood I possibly can. Never will he know the pain I felt living under Alpha Dustin. All he will know is love.