Chapter 9

Emory

Lauren and Annalise came over for a movie day after my talk with Brenden. I had a good time and even managed to act like a normal person for a while.

But now I felt empty again. All alone with only my thoughts to keep me company.

The door opened and I jumped up off the couch. I forgot to make Brenden dinner!

I was about to apologize when another person stepped into the suite. Tears filled my eyes at the sight of her.

"Shauna?" I whimpered.

"Oh, Emmy."

Shauna rushed up to me and hugged me as I sobbed into her shoulder. I hadn't seen her in so long. She was all I had at Blood Stone.

She was there after every beating, after every encounter with Tony. She cleaned up my injuries and held me as I cried. She wasn't supposed to be there and every time she risked her life for me.

"I've missed you," I cried.

"I've missed you too Emmy Bear."

I chuckled at my old nickname and wiped my eyes so I could look at my old nurse.

"How did you get here?" I asked her.

Shauna turned and looked at Brenden who was watching us this whole time.

"The King brought me here to see you."

"You did?" I asked over Shauna's shoulder.

"I did," Brenden confirmed, "and I'll give you time to talk."

Brenden gave me a smile and left the suite. I rushed over to the couch and sat down next to Shauna.

"I'm so happy for you," Shauna told me and I gave her a confused look. "You have a good mate. He will look after you and protect you."

"I don't know..."

"Well I do. You can trust him Emmy, I promise. He won't hurt you."

"How do you know?" I asked.

I wanted so badly for what Shauna said to be true, but I couldn't get my hopes up.

"I just do," my nurse said. "I know it's hard for you to let people close, but King Brenden is safe. I promise."

"But what about everything?" I asked. "Once he finds out, he'll be disgusted with me."

"You'll never know until you tell him."

Shauna was right and I owed Brenden the truth. It was just hard. I don't want to leave. I have friends now and as much as I tried not to, I've gotten attached. If he rejects me and kicks me out, I don't know what I'll do. I'll break for good.

Shauna and I talked for a while longer before Lauren came and showed her to her room. Shortly after, Brenden came in and my stomach filled with butterflies.

"Can we talk?" I asked, my voice quiet and meek.

Brenden nodded and came over to the couch. We both sat down and I swallowed the lump in my throat. I don't know how to say this.

"I-" my voice cracked and I felt like I was going to be sick.

"It's ok," Brenden said. "You can tell me anything."

Not this.

But I owed him the truth.

I took a deep breath and got ready to tell my story.

"I was an Omega in the Blood Stone Pack," I started.

Brenden already knew this, but it gave me a moment to gather my thoughts.

"My mom and I weren't in a pack and she died when I was young. I never knew who my dad was so I wandered around until Alpha Dustin found me. He took me in as an Omega. I was in charge of cooking and cleaning for the pack. Alpha Dustin hated me but nothing happened until one day when I dropped a plate and it broke. That's when I learned not to make mistakes."

"What happened?" Brenden asked through a clenched jaw, although I had a feeling he knew what was coming.

"Alpha Dustin hit me," I told him, hanging my head in shame. I was weak. "And I kept messing up so I kept getting punished."

Brenden's fists clenched and a growl rumbled through his chest.

"I will kill him," he growled.

"There's more," I choked out through a sob.

A tear rolled down my cheek and Brenden's attention was once again on me.

I really don't want to tell him this part. I wish I could just end it at the beatings, but he deserved to know that his mate wasn't clean.

"Alpha Dustin's Beta, Tony, didn't have a mate," I said and more tears slipped out along with a sob.

This was it. Any chance I had at staying here would be gone in a moment.

"So he used me. He would come down to my cell and hold me down while he..."

Brenden growled again and his eyes darkened. He got up and punched a whole through the wall. I whimpered and his attention was once again on me.

"I'm so sorry. I didn't want to," I told him.

Brenden growled again.

"I'm sorry, I'll just go."

I got up to leave, but Brenden stepped in front of me and stopped me.

"Go where?"

I know I had hurt him, but did he really have to drag it on this long? I just want to leave and try to forget that this ever happened.

"I don't know. I'll figure it out," I whispered.

"You aren't leaving," Brenden growled. "Why would you leave?"

"I just thought..."

Brenden looked at me, waiting for the rest of the sentence.

"Aren't you going to..."

Goddess. Couldn't he just spare me and get this over with?

"Can you just reject me already!" I finally shouted.

I couldn't stay here anymore. It hurt too much. I wouldn't be a Queen or even a servant. I just needed to leave.

"Why the hell do you think I'd do that?" Brenden shouted back, surprising me.

"I'm dirty."

Brenden took a deep breath and placed his hands on my shoulders. I tried my best not to flinch.

"You are not dirty," he said softly and cupped my face in his hands. "Those fuckers who dared to touch my mate are the dirty ones and I will destroy them."

A sob tore through me at my mate's words.

"You're not rejecting me?"

I needed confirmation. I needed to hear it.

"I'm not rejecting you," Brenden said softly, "You're mine."

Brenden leaned forward and pulled me into a hug. For the first time, I didn't flinch or tense up at a man's touch. I melted into the arms of my mate.

"No one will ever hurt you again."

I couldn't stop the sobs from escaping me. I didn't deserve this love. Brenden was perfect and I am far from it. I don't deserve his love and the kingdom deserves a better Queen.

"I can't do this," I cried.

"Can't do what?" Brenden asked as he brushed the tears away.

"Everything. I can't be your mate, I don't deserve you. I'm not good enough."

Brenden growled and moved to sit with me on his lap.

"Don't ever say that again. You are perfect and you are mine."

I cried even harder at that, but these tears were happy. Brenden just wrapped his arms even tighter around me and kissed my head.

"It's all going to be ok," my mate said.

And for the first time, I believed it.