Chapter 11

Emory

It's been almost two weeks since I told Brenden the truth and they have been great. I'm finally letting myself be happy and I love it.

"Good morning love," Brenden said as he nuzzled my neck.

"Morning," I giggled.

Waking up in the arms of my mate was the absolute best feeling. I felt all warm and fuzzy as he held me.

It's crazy how much things can change in such a short time.

"So, I was thinking."

I turned in Brenden's arms so I was facing him.

"I want you to meet my parents."

"Oh," I said.

That's not what I was expecting. I don't know what I was expecting, but parents were not it. What if they hate me? What if they think I'm not good enough? Brenden said he wasn't going to reject me, but he could still change his mind.

"Hey," Brenden said, "it's going to be fine. They'll love you."

"What if they don't?" I mumbled into his chest.

"Then they can leave. You are my mate and anyone who doesn't welcome you, isn't welcome in my kingdom."

"Really?"

They were his parents and he would throw them aside just for me? Goddess, how did I get such a perfect mate.

"Yes. You are mine forever," Brenden told me. "But it won't come to that. They will love you, I know it."

I wasn't so sure, but if this was going to work, I had to trust Brenden. And I did, it was just my brain getting in the way of the truth.

"Ok."

Brenden smiled and gave me a kiss on the forehead.

"Is lunch ok?"

I agreed and got up to get ready. I took longer in the shower than usual, trying to calm my nerves and then I had to rush to get ready.

What do you wear for dinner with a King and Queen?

I searched through the closet Brenden and I shared and still didn't know what to wear. So I called Lauren and Annalise.

"I need help," I told them and explained the situation.

"We'll be right over."

And they were. My friends burst into my room no more than three minutes later and dove into my closet. I waited in the bedroom as they searched for the perfect outfit.

"Bingo!" Annalise shouted and came out with a soft pink dress.

She ushered me into the bathroom and I slipped on the dress. It was a satin pink halter dress that reminded me of Marilyn Monroe and I have to admit; I didn't look too bad.

I stepped back into the bedroom and my friends squealed like teenage girls.

"Do I look ok?" I asked them as I looked down at myself.

"Ok?" Annalise shouted. "Girl, you look hot!"

I blushed at Annalise's compliment and Lauren was quick to agree.

With only twenty minutes left to get ready, Lauren started on my hair and Annalise did my makeup.

I hardly recognized the girl I saw. No longer was I the malnourished girl with dull hair and dark eyes. My hair shined, my eyes sparkled, and now that I was eating three meals a day I was starting to fill out. I felt great and I looked great too.

A knock on the door brought me out of my trance and I turned just as Brenden walked in. He froze when he saw me and his eyes darkened a shade.

"Wow," he finally said.

He looked pretty wow himself in his button up shirt that showcased all of his muscles.

"Are you ready?" Brenden asked.

I nodded and he held out his hand to me. I intertwined my fingers with his and took the agonizing walk to the balcony where Brenden's parents were waiting.

"Are you sure about this?" I mumbled.

"You'll be great."

Brenden gave my hand a squeeze and we walked out to the balcony. A woman was standing with her back to me. She had the same dark hair as Brenden and even though I couldn't see her face, I could tell she was beautiful. Next to her was a man, Brenden's dad I'd assume. He had salt and pepper hair and I could see where Brenden got his height from.

The couple turned, sensing our arrival and the woman's face lit up in a smile.

"You must be Emory!" She gushed and came over to me and Brenden. "I'm Marianne."

Brenden's mom wrapped her arms around me. At first I was tense, but then I relaxed into her hold.

"It's nice to meet you Your Majesty," I said with a curtsy.

"Oh, none of that. You can call me Marianne...or Mom if you'd like."

A couple of tears came to my eyes, but I held them in. I haven't had a mother since I was 8 and here she was telling me to call her Mom.

I was about to thank her when the man stepped forward.

"I'm Augustine, but you can call me August or Dad."

He leaned in for a hug, but I tensed up and stepped back. I didn't mean to and I could see the hurt in his eyes, but I couldn't help it. Brenden was one thing, but I don't know this man.

"I'm sorry," I whispered, lowering my gaze to my feet.

"Don't worry about it kiddo. We've got time to get to know each other."

August smiled at me and I smiled back. Then we all sat down for lunch.

It went a lot better than I expected it to. August and Marianne were the nicest people I'd ever met. They were patient with me and kind.

We got to know each other a lot better and Marianne even told me some stories from Brenden's childhood. I giggled along with her while Brenden sat next to me blushing.

We spent hours talking before it was time for Marianne and August to go. They had a suite in the castle, but lived in a house nearby.

"It was lovely to meet you dear," Marianne said.

"You too," I replied.

"We'll see you soon," August said and I took a risk. I stepped towards him and hugged him. He was shocked at first, but wrapped his arms around me and hugged me back.

Brenden took my hand and we saw his parents out.

"See? It wasn't so bad."

I smiled up at my mate. "You're right."

"I always am."

I laughed alongside my mate and the two of us went back to our suite.