Gut Feeling

The door to our room swung open. I sat on the couch, straightening my back and propping my elbows on my knees as I looked at Jesus.

"Dr. Carson was able to patch Gregory up. He's in pain, but he'll live," Jesus explained.

"So, what happens now?" Michonne questioned.

Jesus let out a deep sigh, "Things like that don't usually happen here, but, uh, it's settled."

"We heard the name Negan," Rick's voice boomed, as he altered his position, standing up straight from where he leant against a desk, his hands shoved deep into his pockets. "A while back, Daryl and Abraham had a run-in with his men." My head immediately snapped behind me, looking a Daryl. My brows scrunched together in knots, this being the first I'm hearing of the incident. "Who is he?" Rick asked, his eyes narrowed.

"Negan's the head of a group of people he calls the Saviours," Jesus began to explain, "As soon as the walls were built, the Saviours showed up. They met with Gregory on behalf of their boss. They made a lot of demands, and even more threats. And they killed one of us-- Rory. He was 16 years old. They beat him to death right in front of us." I winced upon hearing that, exhaling as I leaned back again on the couch. "They said we needed to understand, right off the bat. Gregory's not exactly good at confrontation. He's not the leader I would have chosen, but he helped make this place what it is, and the people like him."

"He made the deal," Maggie uttered under her breath, just loud enough so we could hear.

"Half of everything," Jesus confirmed, "Our supplies, our crops, our livestock, it goes to the Saviours."

"And what do you get in return?" I asked, not seeing how this was a fair trade.

Jesus looked down at me, sighing again like he knew what he was about to say was going to sound ridiculous, "They don't attack this place. They don't kill us."

"Why not just kill them?" Daryl shrugged.

"Most people here don't even know how to fight, even if we had ammo."

"Well, how many people does Negan have?" Rick asked.

"We don't know. We've seen groups as big as 20."

"Now, hold up. So, they just show up, they kill a kid, and you give 'em half of everything? These dicks just got a good story. The bogeyman, he ain't shit," Daryl fought.

"Well, how do you know?" Jesus shook his head.

"A month ago, we took his guys out PDQ. Left them in pieces and puddles," Abraham explained. I'm assuming referring back to this run-in he and Daryl had. If they killed them and no one has come to collect for their men's death, then they must not be all that they make themselves out to be.

"You know, we'll do it," Daryl offered, leaving the wall he was leaning against and coming up behind me. His tone was eager, this was our trade. "If we go get your man back, kill Negan, take out his boys, will you hook us up? We want food, medicine, and one of 'em cows."

Jesus paused for a moment, thinking about it. His eyes trailed across the room, looking at each of us before he stopped with Rick. "Confrontation's never been something we've had trouble with," Rick confirmed, agreeing with Daryl's bargain.

I rubbed my forehead anxiously, wiping away the droplets of sweat forming at my hairline. We were agreeing to take this matter into our own hands, becoming the Hilltop's hitman. Yeah, the Saviours seemed like scum, showing up and beating a kid to death to scare communities into submission. But, were we any better? Going after them when we have no part in this. I've always claimed that we only fight back when threatened and when we need to protect our own. We never strike first. And now we were walking straight into a deal where we were going to do exactly that.