Stray Hearts

There was a chorus of screams from the group. Glenn shouted so loud that his entire body recoiled, retching up everything he had in his stomach on the floor in front of him. He looked over at Scar through blurry eyes. She had flopped down onto her back, her legs still neatly folded underneath her, while her arms lay sprawled out with one across her chest. He wanted to kill every single Saviour here today watching this, allowing this. He wanted to take a knife straight to Negan's heart for taking his best friend from him. But all he could manage to do was puke, look at Scar, and puke again. More than anything though, he just wanted to be able to reach out to her. He wanted to hold her hand and cradle her body close to him, rather than just letting her lay there. He couldn't fathom how to go through this world without Scar. He couldn't think of a better friend to find in all of this. He couldn't think of a better person to be his child's godmother. And now she was just gone.

Lincoln's arms shook so hard that he was unable to keep himself up, his legs jerking to the side from the sound of the gunshot beside his ear. The gunshot that killed his only sister. The gunshot that killed the only family member he had left in this world. He fell to the side, the caress she had given his hand still scorching his fingertips. Her head had been turned away from him. All he could do was stare as if his mind hadn't yet caught up to reality. Why would she do that? Why offer her life for any of ours? But, he knew why. Scar had always been that way. Selfless. She was selfless in the way that she ran from the bushes to find a way to distract the Governor. She was selfless in the way that she was the first to volunteer to go beyond those walls before anyone else. She was selfless in the way she chose the burden to kill so other people didn't have to. And now he wished that just for once she would have been selfish.

Rick had snapped. He couldn't bring himself to look at her. The snake-eyed girl he had met in the streets of Atlanta. He knew from their very first interaction that she was trouble, a firecracker through and through. He just hadn't realized at the time that she'd be trouble for anyone else that stood in their way. His eyes darted back and forth, his breath so ragged that he wasn't sure if the wailing noise was coming from him or Carl. He couldn't help but think that he did this. He had killed her. He'd no longer look over his shoulder and see her standing there waiting for his signal. He'd no longer see that glint of determination or that glare of pure ice. Her words rang in his ears. I'm like a daughter to him now. And she was. Scar felt like his kid just as much as Carl was his son and Judith was his daughter. There hadn't been a moment where he hadn't thought about her safety any less than theirs. And she used that to save the rest of them.

It was then that Daryl's entire heart shattered. Every piece he seemed to glue back together, completely broken in seconds. Every conversation, glance, and touch were all ripped away from him. There wouldn't be another moment of feeling her skin against his. He would never hear the sound of her laugh again. He would never have the chance to tell Scar that he loved her too. Scar's eyes stared into his very soul, those words she spoke all those months ago echoing in the back of his head. You're gonna miss me so bad when I'm gone. He didn't want to think about it then because he wasn't going to allow that to happen. He thought back to what she had always told him. There isn't anything that's going to kill me. He just hadn't realized that it didn't include herself. Her body had hit the pavement with a thud, Daryl's limbs going limp with her. Daryl's fingers dug into the gravel as the tears broke out of him, rushing down his face so fiercely he could barely make out the scene before him. But then he saw the red. Her hair was so red with blood that he thought this was the world's final fuck you to him. That name he always called her, the only name she was to him. Red. All Daryl could seem to think was that he was nothing again.

Daryl was completely and utterly broken. But maybe, sometime in the future, this debilitating pain that he was feeling would lessen, just as Scar told him it would. He knew she would be wrong, but he would try for her. He'd kill Negan for this. Daryl would make Negan remember her name, make him know that he would die for what he made her choose to do. Daryl would make sure that his life wasn't for nothing. For Red.

~~~~~~~

Just a short final chapter here for you guys. A lot of people asked me for some final thoughts after Scar's death. I didn't want to overdo it and I didn't want to only do Daryl's POV, because she obviously has very special relationships with other characters as well. So here it is! I love and appreciate all of you guys xx And to all the future readers who find this book, I hope you thoroughly enjoyed it because I sure did writing it xx

PSA - Now that this chapter has been published for a while... Stray continues if you keep reading after the New Book Alert...*