Much Too Much

A bottle of wine. An entire bottle of wine I polished off myself. Glenn and I had found a deck of cards in the rec room Jenner showed to the kids and I decided to teach him how to play this stupid drinking game called Ride the Bus, which I used to play in high school all the time. We played a couple of rounds and before you knew it the wine was gone.

Everyone seemed to do their own thing right now. For once we didn't constantly have to have each other's backs, aware of our surroundings. And at this point, a lot of people weren't. The kids went to bed fairly early, along with Carol. Rick and Lori were off somewhere, together. About twenty minutes ago I witnessed Andrea falling victim to the negative side effects of overdrinking as she hugged the toilet bowl while Dale tried to comfort her. Both Daryl and Shane were off on their own, as usual, and Jacqui and T-Dog had just said goodnight to us before stumbling off to bed. That just left Glenn and me, finishing up our last game before we also decided that sleep was our best option at this point.

"You know, I'm really glad we're both not dead... together," Glenn slurred, flashing me a smile as we sat across from each other on the floor, multiple cards laid out in front of us. He wasn't making total sense, but I got the gist of it.

"Me too," I laughed, raising my empty wine bottle to him. "To living," I toasted, a fake laugh escaping my mouth as he clinked his wine bottle to mine. What we were doing wasn't really considered living though, we were just surviving.

"I'm gonna go shower before bed," Glenn said, pulling me out of my thoughts. He was already halfway to standing up before I was able to respond.

"Okay, I'm just gonna clean up real quick," I responded, referring to the mess of cards on the floor. I watched him stagger off in a zigzag motion until he was out of the room. 

Piling up the cards, I arranged them as neatly as I could and placed them back in their case. Getting up off the floor is when I realized just how much the wine affected me. Placing the cards on the table I stumbled towards the door. My vision blurred and my head spun in circles. Trying to ride the spins I walked down the dimly lit hall until I reach our room. Walking in, I could hear the shower running and I immediately threw myself on the bed, snuggling up underneath the covers, clutching the pillow as my eyes grew heavy. I could feel my mind drifting off into a peaceful sleep when the sound of the bathroom door opening caused me to groan, the bright light coming from it making me shut my eyelids tighter.

"What the hell," a voice murmured that wasn't Glenn's, "This ain't your room," he said and the poor choice in grammar finally allowed my brain to clue in that it was Daryl.

"Yes," was all I responded with as the mix of the wine and this extremely comfy bed was causing my body to forcefully put itself to sleep.

"You can't stay here," he said, his tone clearly annoyed.

I let out another groan in response, I couldn't move and I wasn't going to. It was quiet for a couple of seconds which caused me to start drifting into sleep, but right before I was completely out the bed shifted a bit, as Daryl slid under the clovers, lying as close to the edge as possible.

Waking up the next morning the hangover was bad, one of the worst I've ever had. I rolled over in the bed expecting to see Glenn lying there, still blackout from last night, but the space was empty. Thinking he had already gone out for breakfast I pulled myself out of bed, wanting to change before I headed out. Looking around the room for my bag it was nowhere in sight, then my gaze landed on the arrows that rested on the bedside table. Shit. Everything from last night finally came back to me, realizing that I wasn't in my room, but Daryl's.

Getting up quickly, I was lightheaded but I continued to rush out of the room and into my own as fast as my feet would take me. Shutting the door swiftly, I startled Glenn who sat hunched over on the bed. The only person who drank more than I did last night, was him.