One Step Too Far

We were currently stationed at a small gas station, snooping through abandoned cars taking any food, supplies or gas they held. Our plan next was Fort Benning, 125 miles from where we were, that's what lies ahead. It was going to be a long and tough journey, but I can't imagine it being harder than what we've gone through already. Can it?

I finished filling up the gas tank to the campervan, while everyone else was packing up the last of their things. Leaving the CDC the way we did, left us with a loss of a lot of our things. Luckily I had all my close possessions from my family on me, but my bag of medical supplies, my crowbar, and my Glock were all left behind in that room. The only weapon I had left was my rifle and it wasn't the easiest weapon to carry around and use for close combat.

Revving up his engine Daryl walked his bike closer to the group. Using only his bike now left me to take a spot in the campervan along with Dale, Carol, Sophia and Glenn. Rick and his family still travelled together in their own car and Shane, T-Dog and Andrea all grouped together in the Jeep. The group felt so much smaller now, we were losing numbers rapidly.

"Come on, let's saddle up," Dale yelled out to everyone, climbing into the RV. Everyone shuffled around, agreeing that it was time to get a move on. Swinging my rifle back over my shoulder, I followed Dale into the RV, taking a seat across from Carol and her daughter. With everyone on board, Dale started the vehicle and lead the group off.

We drove for about an hour in just silence, all were tired from the draining experience of yesterday and stressed about what will come next for us. No one knows what lies ahead or if there even is anything to find at Fort Benning and I think that's what scares everyone the most.

"I saw your hesitation back at the CDC," Carol's soft voice pulled me out of my thoughts, she was the first one to say anything the entire trip. At first, I didn't even realize she was even talking to me, I haven't really spoken to this woman all that much. But when I looked around Glenn was zoned out on the other side of the camper, her daughter Sophia was asleep on her shoulder and Dale was out of hearing range for the volume she was speaking at. I glanced back at her and she very gently placed one of her hands on top of mine. I flinched slightly at the comfort of her hand but settled quickly as it felt like my mother was holding it. Carol was a sweet, timid woman, her grey hair had been buzzed and her face was one of the kindest I've ever seen. "It's okay to be scared sometimes," she smiled, "you've been through a lot in the last few days and you try to take it on all on your own, but it's okay to lean on us now. You have us, this is our group."

Something about her saying the word 'our' made my heart drop. A sense of comfort and relief overcame my body and I immediately smiled at her. I nearly felt tears form in my eyes as for the first time I actually felt like I belonged with these people.

"Thank you," I said as I squeezed her hand back slightly. She grinned before we both went back to our previous actions of staring aimlessly out the window.

"Oh dammit," Dale muttered under his breath as he slowed the campervan which caught all of our attention. Glenn immediately got up, taking a seat beside Dale and pulling out a map. I walked up near the front to get a look at what was going on.

"Can we go back?" Glenn asked as he read the map. "There's another route-"

Dale cut him off, "Can't waste the fuel, we can't go back," he said which worried Glenn. "Is there any paths through it?" Dale then yelled out the window to Daryl who pulled up beside us on his bike.

I stared ahead at the collection of abandoned cars that littered the highway. I had seen this a couple of times before. Cars all lined up in a group on a highway from when the virus went from bad to worse. Traffic jams as far as the eye could see before a herd blew through, forcing people to leave their belongings behind and run. Daryl returned, nodding his head that he could lead the group through. We drove slowly as we weaved around cars that had been flipped, raided, and turned into a casket for those who couldn't get out in time.