Chapter 8

"So, you actually decided to save my ass instead of telling the truth?"

You laughed a bit as you are refilling your lighter with lighter fluid while Lloyd sat a bit away from you. Ninjago City at night was as lively as always and Lloyd was, once again, spending the majority of his patrol time with you.

You carefully pour the fluid on the sponge inside the lighter as you thought out loud. "I was actually expecting our next meet-up to be with you bringing the police force and the other ninja to apprehend me so you could finally throw me in a cell." You slammed the fluid canister next to you on the rooftop edge as you went to slot the inner part of the lighter into the outer shell.

"Not with you coming to tell me how you decided to go against your, whatever code you ninjas have, and not report me. Did my sob story really make you feel pity for lil ol' me?" You pushed the two parts of the lighter back together, making it whole once more.

"Pity sounds derogatory. Sympathy sounds better." Lloyd muttered out, he has been sitting on the same roof's edge as you for the past half an hour explaining to you what he had said to Hatcher about the last time you and he had crossed paths. Lloyd showed up at the abandoned hot dog stand after witnessing movement inside only to find the body of the suicide victim and no thief insight.

"I was never, or ever will be, into proper English." You flick your lighter once and immediately a decent-sized flame forms. When you made sure the lighter worked, you pocketed it.

"Whatever, but I really do sympathize with you."

"Where will sympathy get you in my case?" Lloyd was taken aback by your statement.

"What do you mean? You sound pretty unappreciative of my help."

"Of course, I appreciate your help. Without it, I'd be in one heck of a punishment by now." You leaned back and gazed up at the horizon. "What I don't get is why, exactly. What do you get out of this by helping me?" You looked at him. "Am I just someone who could help you get intel on the Silver Tooth?" Lloyd paused again. 'What's with this preconception?'

"Don't go making your own conclusions. Sure, I helped you so I could find what this Silver Tooth is all about because it seems to be far more dangerous than appears to the naked eye, but I also helped you because I see you're not completely at fault here." He explained. "I see remorse whenever I look at you and that's enough of a reason for me to protect you from the law enforcement by keeping my mouth shut."

"I see." You simply answered. "I suppose both of us want something out of this arrangement that shouldn't be judged. I want freedom, you want Ninjago's praise." Lloyd couldn't argue with the three-quarters of your statement. This arrangement that Lloyd, to put it bluntly, forced you into was only for the sake of getting what both of you wanted. Even if you had a common goal under all the layers, to protect innocents from unnecessary harm, you went about it in different ways that make you both polar opposites.

You two were definitely polar opposites.

"I don't do this fo-" You interrupted his sentence by squeezing his cheeks with your hand as you gave him a bored expression.

"And I don't have time for your clarifications, I got places to be." You let Lloyd go and got up from the ledge. Lloyd scrambled up to follow you.

"What? Where are you going?"

"What's it to you? I have my own life, so be a good little ninja and go babysit someone else." You flicked his forehead with your fingers before you took off, leaving Lloyd in the dust to rub his forehead.

"Ever heard of basic decency!!!?"

~~~~

"This is the place?"