19: The Dream

You wake up in the middle of the night, hazily opening your eyes to the sight of your teammates snoozing while Neji kept watch. His back is turned away from you, thus allowing you to get a good look at his back with the best posture you have ever seen. You wondered by such a detail was so important to you, yet you were too busy analyzing every detail of Neji Hyūga to even begin to understand your fixation on the boy. 

His broad, yet slim shoulders seemed tired, yet carried so much weight and pressure at the same time. His silky, soft hair only glistened in the light, making you realize how pretty his hair is under natural lighting since the only lighting available was one from a few torches on the closest wall. You started to remember why you fell for the Hyūga in the first place. 

Neji was always so hard on himself, always wanting to overachieve everything and succeeding each time. He excelled in school and in combat. There was always much growth to be seen in his skills. Although he never really liked you in the beginning, you wanted to be his friend so badly. Soon this goal became so much more, and you wanted to do more than just be there for him.

However, everything became so awkward when you found out why he disliked you. Even now, the memory still brings a funny feeling in your chest. It was as if something within was crawling its way out of your chest, never being able to truly find the way out. Thus, having you relive the pain over and over again.

It was really hard to forgive Neji for what he said. The person you loved the most tore you apart limb to limb with every word that flew out of his mouth that day. Not only that but knowing that you hurt the boy that you loved so much hurt you too. You questioned whether he deserved your forgiveness and whether it was even right for him to want it as you hurt him, and he hurt you.

Your mind flickers back to the weird dream you had regarding the giant koi fish swallowing whole to reveal the horrific scene that Neji once experienced. The poor boy lost his mother and it was because of you. The thought made your chest tighten with pain. It made you wonder how Neji even got through the pain himself. Did he even have time to recover? Was he given the chance to mourn? Even though he has Hinata and his uncle, did he feel lonely too?

You pull yourself off the ground, rubbing your heavy eyelids to wake yourself up for a little bit. Neji did not realize that you were awake. It was almost as if he has something else on his mind, allowing his mind to drift away elsewhere. You crawl over to the dazed boy and hug him from behind without a thought.

Neji snaps out of his trance and jumps a little, slowly realizing it was only you who had wrapped their arms around him.

"(y-(y/n)! You scared me there," mumbles the Hyuga, hesitantly grabbing onto your arms ever so lightly.

You rest your head on Neji's back, closing your sleepy eyes.

"Shh, you'll wake up the others nerd," you retort lazily.

"Ah, my apologies, you just surprised me is all," answers Neji as his face begins to warm up.

"Neji, the dream I had..."

"Uh, yeah, what about it (y/n)?"

"You were in it," you state.

"Really? What was I doing?" questions Neji, too curious to remember how flustered he was.

You pause and ask Neji if he truly wants to know, allowing him to respond with a weak "yeah".

"Watching your mom die," you bluntly state, feeling Neji's once perfect posture diminish.

"H-How was she d-dying?" Neji shakily asked, holding onto your arms even closer.

"Because of me, right? I was the girl in the bubble. It sucked her in and then it burst open. You ran and ran until you found a shop to take cover in from the acidic rain," you recall the experience to Neji, feeling his body quiver with each accurate statement.

Neji did not say a word. He wanted to say something, but he could not. He was too sad to even think of a response. 

"Neji," you begin, grabbing his attention once more. "Your back, may I?"

Neji silently nods, allowing you to slip your hand underneath his shirt to feel his wounded back. You could feel every acidic burn on his back. Your heart sinks as you feel Neji wince every so often from the little bit of pain he can still feel. Tears stream down your cheeks as you remember every time you slapped Neji on the back or forced him onto the ground with your stupid shenanigans. 

"Neji, I-I'm so sorry," you managed to hiccup out.

Before you could continue your apology and sobbing, the young Hyūga swiftly turns around. With determination he grabs your face gently and pulls you into a kiss. The pain you once felt in your chest transformed into light-hearted butterflies during this moment. Despite the surprise, you accept the gesture and bring the pretty boy closer, not wanting the sweet kiss to end so soon. 

"YOUTH!" screams Rock Lee, startling you both into pushing each other off and flying into different directions.

Rock Lee begins to snore once more, having you and Neji realize that it was only Rock Lee talking in his sleep again. You both sigh with relief, then begin intensely blushing as you both realize what had occurred. 

"U-Um, I've never kissed anyone before s-s-so I'm sorry if it was weird," stuttered out Neji, nervously fiddling with his hands. 

"Oh, well that's okay because I've never kissed anyone else before too. Plus my breath might be a little fishy from earlier," you say with a giggle.

Neji shyly smiles at your joke while still avoiding eye-contact. You thought that seeing Neji, the most serious and stern boy around, be flustered and shy was so adorable. You could not help but inch closer to him in hopes of seeing his flushed face become tomato red. 

However, the Hyuga notices your gesture and swiftly steals a peck on the lips. You gasp with surprise as Neji shyly smirks

"If you're going to take advantage of my weak spot, then I'll just hit yours too," states the pretty boy.

"Wha- What do you think my weak spot even is? I liked the kiss anyways, so you're just giving me what I want anyways, you nerd," you retort, sticking your tongue out at Neji.

As you begin to pull your tongue back, Neji comes in for another kiss on the lips. This time, as his lips met yours, you felt the tips of your tongues touch for a second before both your mouths closed in response to the kiss. Neji pulls away from the kiss, slyly smirking once more.

"Well, since you like being kissed so much, I'll just kiss you so much that you'll crave the touch of my lips within every hour of every day," cockily states the Hyūga.

Your face became tomato red hearing Neji's comment. You did not realize how playful Neji could be.

"W-Well y-you know what? I-I-I'm going to bed anyways! You weirdo!" you frantically blurt out.

Seeing your flustered face almost amused Neji, making him want to steal another kiss. However, he saw you crawl back to your spot once more to rest. Therefore, he respects your boundary and decides to just let you crave more of his kisses while you sleep. Neji then hides his face in his hands, realizing what he had done tonight. 

The events of tonight made his mind run wild, overwhelming his flustered soul to the point where he passes out from being so tired and embarrassed. 

"I AM YOUTH!" yells Rock Lee once more, this time waking him up as he sat up immediately. 

As he was awake, Rock Lee notices Neji asleep on the ground with a red face while you were turning in your sleep constantly. 

"Weird- well I guess it's my turn to keep watch then. YEAH!" yells out Rock Lee, waking up Tenten momentarily.

"Shut up, Lee," mumbles Tenten as she drifts back to sleep.