20: Imaginary Sweet Bliss

It was the final day and everyone who made it to the building was called to meet in a large room for further instructions. At this point, you felt a lot better and could walk on your own. In fact, you felt refreshed and ready to get back at it. Followed by your teammates, you walked into the room to meet eyes with familiar faces and a couple glares.

You saw Naruto turn around, his eyes widening with excitement as he ran to you.

"(y/n)!" Naruto yelled, "I was getting a little worried when you hadn't showed up yet. I thought something bad might've happened to ya!"

You return his fist pump. 

"Ah well, you could say something like that happened," you mumbled under your breath.

This confused Naruto, but before he could question what happened, you took one look at the room and felt an immense amount of tension filling the atmosphere. 

"Heh, damn, you guys look like you got your shit blasted and thrown," you giggled, feeling everyone's glares attempt to cut you like daggers. "Hey, chill out guys, I got my own shit blasted, thrown, drowned, you name it." 

Your sheepish smile was ignored as everyone groaned or kept silent. You got in line with your team, standing next to Naruto's teammates.

"Jeez (y/n), you really want to have a huge target on your head, huh?" whispers Tenten from behind. 

"Gotta start early. By the time I'm in my twenties I'll be so well-known for my skills that everyone will wanna fight me," you whispered back, giving Tenten one of your classic grins.

She only sighed, having a weary smile plastered on her face before you turned back around. The room was silent once more aside from occasional whispers or grunts. This gave you time to really think about what happened last night. 

Did Neji Hyūga, the boy who once thought you were such a nuisance, really pull you into a kiss? It felt as if the event was only a dream, especially since the long-haired boy became so cocky and playful after the act. It was so unlike Neji. Typically, Neji was only friendly, occasionally teasing you here and there, but mainly stayed serious unless poked or prodded. You were aware of his feelings from the past after you stopped liking him, but did he still like you?

You could not truly wrap your head around the several kisses you and Neji possibly shared. However, you could not really remember if the sweet bliss you once felt was only a dream. When you woke up this morning, Neji acted as if nothing really happened last night, so perhaps it was only a dream. You turned around to look at the young prodigy, stealing a glance at him. He noticed you and smiled. You returned the smile with your own and slightly waved. You turned back around, still confused as to whether what happened last night actually happened. 

In reality, you really wanted to ask the Hyūga right then and now if it really happened, but with the chance of it not actually happening, you did not want to risk him knowing your feelings for him. If he found out you liked him and had such a weird, intimate dream, then he may find you a nuisance once more with your ridiculous fantasies. 

While you pondered about that, Neji also thought the same thing. He wondered if last night's sweet bliss genuinely happened. It must have been a dream is what he sternly told himself. There was no way he, of all ninjas, had enough courage to pull you into a kiss and become so playful with you. Before he could replay everything that happened last night, the proctors of the exam, along with many of the sensei, walk into the room and begin talking. 

"So, because of the high pass-rate of both exams, we're going to do a preliminary exam before the actual third exam," stated the sickly-looking proctor, earning groans and complaints around the room.

"But why? Is that even fair?" called out the annoying pink-haired girl.

You could not stand Sakura, at least not right now. You could not understand why Naruto was so fond of her. She was selfish, loud, and just out-right annoying. You did not like Ino either, but at least it seemed as if Ino was maturing faster than pinky. Oh, and most importantly, Sakura was one of the few who bullied Naruto back when they were younger, which definitely did not sit right with you at all. 

If there was anything that pissed you off most, then it was the fact that you two were quite similar once. Pining after an edgy, easily annoyed boy and never having any true consideration for him. You sighed at the thought of being as low as Sakura once; however, you quickly shook your head in hopes of drowning her once more.

"Therefore, we will begin now," coughed out the proctor. "If you are not prepared to risk your life on the line now, then you are encouraged to leave."

One boy raised his hand, claiming that he could not fight any more if he really wanted to. He quietly left after sharing some words with Naruto and then later on his teammates. Then you overheard Sakura whine about how Sasuke needs to quit now while he can because of his injuries. You listened as the two bickered back and forth, cringing as Sakura cried in fear of Sasuke hurting even more. You had enough of her baby-ish ways, whipping around to make direct eye-contact with her. 

"Listen here Sakura," you begin, startling the pink-haired girl, "If Sasuke doesn't want to pull out of the exam, then he doesn't have to. Sasuke can take care of himself. Why not worry about yourself for once and have some consideration for other people."

Those a part of the rookie nine all overheard what you had just said to Sakura. Most of them in shock, gasping as they waited for Sakura's response. Sakura seemed dumbfounded, tears still streaming down her face. Much like Sakura, Sasuke was also dumbfounded, curious as to why you would even attempt to stick up for him. 

"Excuse me?" squeaked out Sakura as her dumbfounded face became angry. "Who do you think you are? Telling me when I should and shouldn't have consideration?"

"Well if you actually had any, then you could tell how annoyed Sasuke was having to even argue about his well-being with you. If anyone knows how Sasuke's feeling, then it's Sasuke. Not me, not you," you retorted, watching Sakura angrily wipe her tears away. 

"Oh really? What about you and Neji?" she asked, loud enough for the whole room to hear.

"What? Leave my teammate out of this, weirdo."

"Oh really, your teammate, right. Everyone knows you pined after him throughout the academy days. It was honestly a surprise when you even got to graduate early with them," retorted back Sakura, grinning now.

Your face was flushed with anger, you wanted to do more than outsmart her stupid ass, you wanted to beat it. Before you could even take a step, Neji spoke. 

"Yeah, that may be true, but at least (y/n) never threw away a friendship over some boy. She'd rather stay friends with everyone then attempt some sort of relationship," stated Neji, smirking at Sakura as she squirmed away.

"Whatever Neji, you don't even know how to love someone anyways. It's a surprise that she even liked you in the first place," responds Sakura, attempting to hold onto any power she had. 

"That's it! I'm going to rock your shit!" you yelled, getting ready to throw a punch at Sakura's face. 

Tenten grabbed your arm, stopping you in your tracks. 

"(y/n), look," stated Tenten, pointing at the large sign on the wall. "You'll have your chance."

"(y/n) (l/n) vs. Sakura Haruno"

You glared back at Sakura, watching her tongue click before giving you a sly smile.

"Tch, rock my shit then," cockily retorted Sakura.

Grinning ear to ear, you say, "Hope that you don't mind getting that short hair of yours wet, because your ship is about to capsize," leaving the pink-haired girl gritting her teeth as you walked to the middle of the floor.

You watched as everyone headed up to the next floor of the room, watching you and Sakura stand before the sick-like proctor. 

"Begin!" he yelled.

The start of the preliminaries had begun, and you were more than excited. In fact, you were giddy, finally able to show off what you have learned in the past year. And, what makes it even better is that you would finally get to give the pink-haired girl a reality check.