6 | First Dates

6 | First Dates

[-IMANI POV-]

Tuesday

"Gèt manman w, you think you can say that?" I ask Mikey as we sit outside by the curb. Mikey scrunches his face as he tries to pronounce the foul phrase. I watch in amusement as he tried to but failed so desperately.

"I don't know how to. What does it even mean?" He asks as he brings his ice cream sandwich up to his mouth to take another bite. I laugh at the question. "Nothing, don't repeat it okay?" I tell him and he nods.

We were waiting for Matteo to come and get him again. This time we were just sitting and chilling on the curb, waiting for Mr. Wallace's shiny fancy car to peak through that entrance. "Oh yeah, Ms. Pierre, look." Mikey shouts as he reaches for his backpack to pull out a piece of paper. It was another drawing. Over time, Mikey has gotten better, and his drawings went from disfigured stick figures to actual images. His very first drawing he gifted me, that still hangs on my wall besides my mirror, was given to me a little over 4 months ago and you can definitely tell he's improved.

"This is so sick Mikey. I'm gonna show this to my roommate." I compliment and his smile stretches from ear to ear.

"Ms. Pierre, I think I wanna be a drawer."

"You mean like, an artist?"

"Yup, and I'm gonna get famous." He says, his cute dark green eyes glowing.

"Y'know, when you do get famous, I expect 700 gazillion moneys back because I kinda was the one who inspired you in the first place to get better." I speak and he nods his head slowly in agreeance.

"Wait, how much is a gazillion?" Before I could answer his question, I notice a familiar BMW pull up into the school. I stand up and grab my bags and Mikey follows suit.

I watch as the familiar face exits the car, after parking, to greet us both. Mikey runs to his father and jumps into his open arms. This shit is so cute I might barf. I watch as Matteo puts Mikey into the passenger seat and shuts the door behind him, making sure he has his seatbelt on.

"How was he today?" Matteo asks as he smiles in my direction. A warm smile I've grown to like.

"As he is every day; amazing. He drew this for me." I say holding up the picture. Matteo jokingly tilts his head to the side, his eyes squinted as he tries to figure out what the picture is. "It's me...it's a picture of me." I answer for him awkwardly, and he nods slowly.

"Sure it is." He jokes and I roll my eyes. I'm about to turn and start heading for my car when I hear my last name being called. I turn and find Matteo walking closer to me. "What are you doing later today?" He asks. I pinch my eyebrows together. Why was he wondering?