11 | Unbearable Silence

[-MATTEO POV-]

Saturday

It's been an hour. Only an hour, and I feel like rolling out of this car into ongoing traffic.

Imani paid no mind to me. Not a hello, not a 'oh Matteo you're here too', not a damn thing and I'm losing my mind. I sat in the back, with my air pods in, but nothing playing.

I wanted to hear what was going on up front. I needed answers as to what the fuck was going on.

"But then I got detention for it, and the lady that was in charge of that was so fine. I wasn't even mad." Sam says and Imani laughs. It wasn't even funny. What part of that entire story of him vandalizing his middle school principal's car was funny?

"You were a badass little kid." She says, her hand reaching forward to playfully slap his shoulder.

"Were? What do you mean, I still am." He jokes and she shakes her head in amusement.

"Alright now tell me a story," he says, and she refuses.

"No no, I've told you nearly everything last night on call, so you owe me a couple of stories, peepee girl." He demands with an evil grin. Last night? On call? My head was getting dizzy from the questions that were sprouting in my head that I so desperately wanted answers to.

They were on the phone last night? Doing what? Talking about what? Who's peepee girl?

Calm down, Matteo, she's not even your girlfriend. Why're you acting so possessive?

I try to take a few deep breaths in and focus on whatever was going on outside my window. I cross my hands against my chest, my leg bouncing rapidly as my anger took over me. When did my brother and her get so close? Telling these stories, calling each other nicknames.

"I'll tell you about the time my brother and I broke my parents glass table while we were dancing." She speaks.

"Which brother? Ian or James?" He asked and I had to literally stop myself from grinding my teeth back and forth against each other. How does he know about her brothers? How much have they talked about?

Before she could answer, Sam stops the car at a gas station. "Alright, what snacks are we feeling hungry for?" He eagerly asks.

"I can come out with you if you want." She suggests. I scoff to myself. Why? So they could chat it up some more?

"No, it's alright, I'll be quick. So, what do you want?" She answers him and he goes off into the store, leaving Imani and I to sit in this unbearable silence.

"When did you two get so close?" I ask, finally speaking up.

"I don't really think any of that concerns you, Mr. Wallace." She says, glaring at me through the rearview mirror.